Stay red or go green (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Relatively new to me 1986 60 (got her 9 months ago). I figured in was time to drain and fill the cooling system with fresh coolant. I was expecting green but somewhere along the way before I got her, red coolant was put in.

So now, the question is do I go back to green or stay red? I don’t know if the red is or Is not DexCool. I was thinking of completely flushing the system and replacing with green but know that can create precipitates that can clog the radiator and heater cores.

I certainly don’t mind the work and mess of flushing the system if that puts the truck in a better place.

What do ya’ll think is best?

Relatively new to me 1986 60 (got her 9 months ago). I figured in was time to drain and fill the cooling system with fresh coolant. I was expecting green but somewhere along the way before I got her, red coolant was put in.

So now, the question is do I go back to green or stay red? I don’t know if the red is or Is not DexCool. I was thinking of completely flushing the system and replacing with green but know that can create precipitates that can clog the radiator and heater cores.

I certainly don’t mind the work and mess of flushing the system if that puts the truck in a better place.

What do ya’ll think is best?
I’ve used Green for 32 years on my 89 with no issues.

I would do a full flush using an additive to clean things out before you drain it and flush it. Then go back to green like it originally had in it. My two cents.

Does it have the original brass radiator?

Funny you should ask as that is what I have been trying to find out. I don’t see any TEQ markings that tell me it is the original. Is there a way to tell?
Post a picture for us.

They’re painted black.

Here are 2 pictures. I thought it was the original radiator until I tried to find the drain plug. I found it peculiar that it was on the back side of the radiator facing backward instead of being on the bottom and facing straight down like it is on my 40. Opening the plug showered the tie rods and front axle Instead of flowing straight down into a pail. Usually Toyota engineers have things figured out better than that.

84B83C22-7C6D-4598-9769-C4A038DF6AD5.jpeg

21EF4987-EA83-4BF1-A708-CD07F4B7DF5F.jpeg

That looks like an aftermarket radiator -

If you go back to the green, you will have to flush all the red out. The Red is better (more additives and long-lasting) over the green. But the cost reflects that. I use the green because it's what was spec'd (before Red existed) and it's still relatively cheap, even the good Zerex at NAPA, but you do have to change on schedule.

I prefer to do coolant flushes in an antique engine to get rid of contaminants.

Red is good if you go to an Alum rad.

No that's pretty standard sh*tty design on the 60 series radiator drains. I drain mine into large rubbermaid tub, which catches maybe 2/3 of the coolant that drains out after it blows all over the frame, etc...which contaminates it with oily crap. The rest gets hosed down the driveway. :hillbilly:

Hard to say if it's an OEM radiator or not, some replacements look pretty damn similar. After 35 years doubtful it's original, could be an OEM replacement though.

I used Toyota Red for numerous years in my 62, which didn't exist when the truck was built. I got on the bandwagon of how much better the Red was. It works great as advertised...better?...who knows.

Then switched back to standard green Prestone a couple years ago only because I decided I want something that can be found at Walmart/napa/mom n pop shop/where ever if ever in a side of the road situation where I NEED AF/coolant. You ain't gonna find Toyota red there.

If you switch coolants, drain the radiator, drain the engine block on driver side petcock, drain rear heater, empty the overflow bottle. Refill with distilled water, run vehicle around some, run the heaters, drain it all again, refill it again, run it around, repeat drain, refill, drain...lather rinse repeat a few times...you get the idea. I went through a lot of distilled bottles, probably overkill but it was CLEAN. Then refilled 50/50 fresh Prestone old school green and distilled (or premixed 50/50). All good.

Oh and stay away from dexcool or any other weird formulas/colors. Go Toyo Red or old school green and distilled.

I would definitely prefer to go back to green. These are the steps I am planning to follow to get the red out. Please let me know if there is anything I am missing or shouldn’t do.

1. Drain radiator, block.
2. Remove Tstat and back flush block with garden hose.
3. Flush radiator with garden hose.
4. Reconnect everything and fill system with tap water (leave Tstat out).
5. Run engine with heater cores open for a few minutes.
6. Repeat drain and flush procedure until clear.
7. Fill with 50/50 green/distilled water. Run/burp the system.

Thanks @Skniper. I was typing out my planned steps when you posted your last response so I didn’t see it until after I posted mine. Thank you for the step by step, I will follow those.

I would definitely prefer to go back to green. These are the steps I am planning to follow to get the red out. Please let me know if there is anything I am missing or shouldn’t do.

7. Fill with 50/50 green. Run/burp the system.
Yes sir!

7. Fill with 50/50 green. Run/burp the system.

I prefer not to use tap water unless necessary, probably wouldn't hurt for flushing, just make sure you get it out. Maybe finish with a distilled flush. I would do it all more than once.

I prefer not to use tap water unless necessary, probably wouldn't hurt for flushing, just make sure you get it out. Maybe finish with a distilled flush. I would do it all more than once.
There is some controversy in using distilled water for cooling systems. One theory is that the lack of minerals in distilled H2O leaches metals from the cooling system. Personally I use well water. YMMV
SimS

There is some controversy in using distilled water for cooling systems. One theory is that the lack of minerals in distilled H2O leaches metals from the cooling system. Personally I use well water. YMMV
SimS
Yep, heard that too, thought about mentioning it. Curious what the water is in the premixed 50/50 coolants, not sure they specify it on the containers.

Anyone know??

Yep, heard that too, thought about mentioning it. Curious what the water is in the premixed 50/50 coolants, not sure they specify it on the containers.

Anyone know??
Probably the cheapest option available to be honest....

Red and green for me too - "Christmas":

Chile License Plate.png

The plate on the '84 FJ60 I just sold will be going to my '76 FJ40, then to my '71 FJ40 when it's finished later this year.

No yellow universal chameleon users here?

Meets Toyota red, Nissan blue, old school green, even covers that GM pink dexcool (which is not the same stuff your daddy talked s*** on back in nam anymore but I’m still not talking fondly of it)

every parts store/quick lube/anyone with a volume of cars uses yellow chameleon antifreeze, can’t keep 5 different types of coolant on hand, keep one that covers everyone.

anyways been in my rig for 10+ years now.... can’t say I have had one issue with it.

always got to throw that odd ball in the pot

No yellow universal chameleon users here?

Meets Toyota red, Nissan blue, old school green, even covers that GM pink dexcool (which is not the same stuff your daddy talked s*** on back in nam anymore but I’m still not talking fondly of it)

every parts store/quick lube/anyone with a volume of cars uses yellow chameleon antifreeze, can’t keep 5 different types of coolant on hand, keep one that covers everyone.

anyways been in my rig for 10+ years now.... can’t say I have had one issue with it.

always got to throw that odd ball in the pot
I’m actually running yellow right now too. It was on sale for like $6 a gallon so I couldn’t pass it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom