Starting a new diesel fj60 6.5 turbo diesel ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have heard all the horror stories that have been told about the 6.2/6.5's, my brother in law has been a gm mechanic for almost 30 years. I know they don't like to get hot, only have mediocre power etc...

If i was looking for a tow monster this would by no means be my first choice. But for a transplant in a cruiser, seems an easy choice. Parts are fairly easy to come by, fits SBC mounts, many trans options, and good fuel mileage.

There are tons of options out there for diesels and i have done a lot of research and thinking about what would be good for me. So far given all the choices, cash involved, fab work needed, and my familiarity with gm stuff, a 6.2 or 6.5 was my choice.

Just my .02

:cheers:

Let me ask this...can the suburban pull a 8K load with any authority and maintain 70 to 76 on the Hwy? Can it climb hills loaded and mainain at least 50 to 55 mph?

Yes I remember those days...I was mechanic way back in the late 80's and most anyone who had to work on those things would "run screaming" a the meer mention of the word "power".."performance"... I agree there are some deals to be had on those trucks and some of the parts would be worth having... I think people need to go drive one...and then go drive one loaded. I would not touch any type disel that was not turbo-charged...expect for small tractors.

I would be careful about these engines and fully understand what you have....and what if any modifications are out there to add power.

I've never met a GM mechanic that worked on those things that had anything good to say about them. I'm specifically referring to the 6.2 and the later 6.5..I'm not talking about the olds 5.7 deisel which was even worse.

Agree these things were sold on milage numbers...the problem was that they could not perform adequately in a 2500 or 3500 capacity. I might be inclided to buy one of those trucks for parts...but not for the engine.

But as people have noted the engine might be OK in a LC ...pushing its own weight...

In the old days these things were known as boat achors and many people had the engine removed and a gas engine installed in its place or they sold the truck based on performance issues.

here is something regarding the banks trubo Banks Power | 82-93 Chevy/GMC - 6.2L>>Sidewinder® Turbo System

** nothing personal....just my view.

I have never towed anything with my truck, so I can't answer your questions from personal experience. My friend had an identical truck and had no problems towing a FJ40 on a trailer, probably 7,000 lbs. I doubt he towed above 60 - 65mph and my guess is it went up hills slow.

I won't dispute anything you have to say about the 6.2 and 6.5. People should definitely drive one and know what they are getting into if they plan to purchase one. These engines have well documented issues and a reputation for being a dog for good reason.

6.2 diesel

Holy **** that's good mileage. More specifications about the truck?
6.2 dsl,ranger overdrive factory 4 speed,and gearing.Tires are 31/10.50-15 Yokahoma goelander a/t's
AS said earlier it thread not much for power or ripping asphalt but my opinion so far great engine mine has 385000 miles and when it goes ive got another with 50000 miles ready togo.I know some with a suburban that has 980000 miles and still going,

Last edited:
I know some with a suburban that has 980000 miles and still going,

Typo? Must have had everything underneath the truck rebuilt 3 times over.

What I've found thus far leads me to believe that a 6.5L td weighs about the same as a 2F. Call it roughly 850 lbs.

Lots of diesels have a reputation for cracking heads such as many Isuzu's and Toyota 4cyl diesels. I don't think the 6.2/6.5 is any worse than them.

I worked at a GM truck dealer back in the 80's. I don't remember any coming in with cracked heads, but do remember few with cracked blocks or broken cranks come in.

I tow a 3200 lb car to car shows sometimes across he state with my NA 6.2. It is kind of gutless towing. Not enough power to maintain highway speed in 5th gear if there's a slight breeze or slight uphill grade. End up driving 55MPH in 4th gear half of the time.

Never have seen the needle on temp gauge go up at all. Even towing in Florida in 95 degree heat with the pedal mashed to the floor. Stock Toyota radiator.

Have had the 6.2 in my DD 60 for 10 years w/o any major issues. They're fine if you don't expect lots of power.

95 to 99 6.5 blocks are more likely to crack than other years.

95 to 99 6.5 blocks are more likely to crack than other years.

From July 09 issue of Diesel Power, in response to:
Q: I'm a die-hard Chevy fan and I'm looking into buying a 6.5L turbodiesel. My question is: are there any certain years I should try to get my hands on?

A: As for a year to buy, we'd shoot for a '97-and-up model. They have oil-cooled pistons, a revised, higher-capacity cooling system, a better turbocharger, and more performance potential.

Even with a few modifications, don't expect any more than about 200 hp at the wheels. If you're willing to live with that, then go nuts. There are many 6.5L trucks out there just doing their daily diesel duties, and fuel mileage is often in the 20-plus-mpg range with trucks equipped with 3.42:1 axle gears.

Link to website here: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/chevy/0907dp_top_tech_questions/index.html

Despite all the other improvements, 97 to 99 (The first "oil squirter" 506 blocks) were the worst for cracking in the #8 cylinder.
Great idea, but don't know why the blocks were more prone to cracking than other years.
I know it contradicts what the author of the article says, but dealer mechanics that work on lots of these say otherwise. I decided to do some web searches on the 506 blocks, and pretty much came up with the same.

Despite all the other improvements, 97 to 99 (The first "oil squirter" 506 blocks) were the worst for cracking in the #8 cylinder.
Great idea, but don't know why the blocks were more prone to cracking than other years.
I know it contradicts what the author of the article says, but dealer mechanics that work on lots of these say otherwise. I decided to do some web searches on the 506 blocks, and pretty much came up with the same.

good info - thanks. Discussion at Diesel Place affirming same conclusion here: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375192

One more argument for the GEP P400, it seems.

So what is the best block ?

Early- middle- late

or a combo of all three?

Other than the 2000 up special Optimizer and others Eagle Scout mentioned on the other thread, the 91 or 92?? to 94 "599" casting blocks. They were supposedly made until 94, but I recently pulled one out of a 95 truck.

had a 95' 2500 suburban w/ 6.5 turbo. Engine was fine w/ no weight behind truck (just small jon boat). i did, however, go through 3 injector pump rebuilds before I sold it with 205K on the clock. Supposedly someone has found a way to rebuild the pumps pretty economically so fwiw, i'd be inclined to drop one in a 60 series....with a good bit more research on the injector pump issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom