starter won't.... start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hmmm.
turn the key: nothing.
turn on fans or wipers: blowing and wiping.
no click from the starter.
nothing from the starter at all actually.

diagnosis?

sounds like it might be the wire connections to the starter, Clean them off (any corrosion) with some sand paper or rough them up a bit and reconnect it do it for all the wires running to and from there if possibe.

Possible it is the Starter solenoid.
or a bad ground somewhere.

This happed literaly two days ago with my Tacoma. Same thing Electrics worked fine, just no juice to the starter. I cleaned them and have not had a problem.

I replaced my starter a few months back, but it started giving me warning before it went out completely. If you check all the wires as mentioned in the post above and they look good, it could indeed be the solenoid. Mine did the same thing. Turned the key..nothing. I crawled underneath and gave it a tap with a hammer and it started. Sometimes if the solenoid is hung up that's all it takes, but if you have to keep doing that I'd guess that the writing's on the wall and you need a new starter. It's pretty easy, at least in a 40, to take the starter out and have it tested at an auto parts store. Don't know where you live, but I'd guess you'd have to special order a starter for an older LC. I live within driving distance of a supplier of LC parts so I was able to get a new one right away. I noticed when I looked at it in the box at the store that a small wire that was on the old one was missing on the new one. Kinda made me wonder what kind of quality control the rebuilder has. If I had to trade one in and wait for a new one on order, I'd take a picture or make a sketch of the old one first.

tapped it with a hammer and it released.
works now.

i just had this one rebuilt last year... pisses me off.
where did you find yours? was a rebuild? did you just ask for the fj40 starter?

Advane auto parts, anybody will have them, just tell them the pertinent info. I always check locally before ordering parts, it's amazing what you can find at any NAPA, Pep Boys, etc...

thanks i'll look around.

[quote author=rusmannx link=board=1;threadid=5876;start=msg46907#msg46907 date=1065118728]
i just had this one rebuilt last year... pisses me off.
where did you find yours? was a rebuild? did you just ask for the fj40 starter?
[/quote]

Whoa, you shouldn't have to replace the whole starter if the solenoid is giving you problems! The solenoid is just a high current switch with big brass contacts that get corroded after so much sparking. Why not just fix the solenoid??

Im sure its different for the cruisers and older cars. but they didnt (Autozone and Carquest) did not even offer a solenoid only. and that was for a 1997 Tacoma.

The only option if I needed to was buty a new starter with everything. Lifetime warrenty for 129, bucks.

[quote author=zetasig link=board=1;threadid=5876;start=msg46934#msg46934 date=1065125524]The only option if I needed to was buty a new starter with everything. Lifetime warrenty for 129, bucks.
[/quote]

I thought you said in your first post that all you did was clean the terminals??

Anyway, even in a new truck there has to be some way to connect and disconnect high amp 12V to the starter. That's the solenoid's job, whether it's built into the starter housing, or mounted on the outside of the starter, or mounted to the firewall or fender or whatever. It's just a big relay.

The start position on the ignition may also be the problem but that's easy to test. Just check for 12V at the solenoid with the key in the Start position.

The starter itself is a motor with field and armature and brushes. Why replace it if it works?

And 50 cents buys enough emory cloth to polish the solenoid contacts and get it working. The hammer trick is a last ditch, get home from the wilderness trick.

wish i wasn't broke. i'd like to throw in a mean green.

I'm with Theo, especially if you're broke. I took the starter apart on my BJ60 when it did not work and found a big glob on one of the contacts that was keeping the other side from making contact. Cleaned it off and all is well! Cheaper than any aftermarket starter guaranteed :flipoff2:

In regards to the starter in the tacoma I did just clean the contacts and it's still working!

If that did not solve it, my next step was to look at the solenoid, then the starter.

I checked with the shops to see if I could only buy the solenoid. Thinking if that was the root of my problem I would not need to buy the whole thing. They informed me they did not offer just the solenoid! Im sure some shop somewhere does but not in my area. Sorry for the confusion. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom