Starter Rebuild pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you that are pic whores :flipoff2: ... oh wait, i'm one of them!

I'll spare the dialogue since you can pretty much find how do do this job in the archives and the FSM is pretty spot on. Here is a link to the FSM pages:

Starter FSM

oh, I should note that my truck has 190k on it...and I think this is the first starter rebuild it's ever had.

the pic with the O ring shows what the O ring looked like BEFORE...barely even existed.

dscf0003.jpg

dscf0004.jpg

dscf0006.jpg

dscf0013.jpg

dscf0014.jpg

dscf0017.jpg

dscf0018.jpg

dscf0019.jpg

dscf0020.jpg

dscf0021.jpg

dscf0023.jpg

...added these two pics per request. the contactors really didn't look that bad, but that plunger...it needed to go. So take other's advice and replace the plunger while you are in there too.

dscf0024.jpg

dscf0025.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!!!

I just so happen to need to do this job as soon as the parts arrive from CDan. They shoulda' shipped today. Hopefully the starter will hold out until they arrive.

On bit of help - what are the dimensions of that block of wood "special tool"?

Thanks again.

Charlie

CharlieS said:
Thanks!!!

I just so happen to need to do this job as soon as the parts arrive from CDan. They shoulda' shipped today. Hopefully the starter will hold out until they arrive.

On bit of help - what are the dimensions of that block of wood "special tool"?

Thanks again.

Charlie

pretty close to the dimensions in the FSM link I sent. Probably want to print those pages out to get dirty ;)

K

I vote to add this to the FAQ. Great info and pics. Good to see actual pictures vs drawings in the FSM.

Any pics of the contact wear... i.e. thickness remaining?

Rookie2 said:
Any pics of the contact wear... i.e. thickness remaining?

done, added to original post.

K

great write up! we must've been doing it at the same time. my lower bolt was a pain to loosen - even with impact. i had one of my older mechanics help me - Ford driver, International mechanic - and every step of the way he was blown away by the engineering of the 80. rubber gasket in the starter, the way i was able to rebuild with new contacts and plunger, cover boot on the outside of the starter, even the bolt size holding the starter - "you could tow a boat with one of these - this thing is way over built". it's just cool to get admiration from your typical Ford guy, especially one who knows his stuff, mechanically speaking. :cheers:

second on FAQ and a thanks to Cdan.

willmaxr said:
great write up! we must've been doing it at the same time. my lower bolt was a pain to loosen - even with impact. i had one of my older mechanics help me - Ford driver, International mechanic - and every step of the way he was blown away by the engineering of the 80. rubber gasket in the starter, the way i was able to rebuild with new contacts and plunger, cover boot on the outside of the starter, even the bolt size holding the starter - "you could tow a boat with one of these - this thing is way over built". it's just cool to get admiration from your typical Ford guy, especially one who knows his stuff, mechanically speaking. :cheers:

second on FAQ and a thanks to Cdan.

I've been really lucky with most all my bolts. the truck spent 160k of it's first miles as a California truck. Then I brought it to the saltwest and it's probably aged twice as fast. But luckily the bolts haven't been an issue for me. I do pre-spray with a dab of Shaeffers Penetrol, but I probably don't have to. In other words some serious amount of elbow grease and some monkey arms seems to do the trick for me ;)

...yeah, i love the way this truck is built. I'm at 190k miles and it runs better than other peoples <non-toy> junk :beer:

later

kumar

Nice stuff.

DougM

Getting ready to do this myself. . . with the help of this post!

Great write-up!

Thanks -

Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom