Starter/flywheel grinding noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I engage the starter I get a grinding noise at the starter/flywheel. Anybody else had this issue? TIA

Had it intermently. Think it was the plunger. Do that and starter contacts if you haven't. I had to throw a starter at it due to time constraints. Problem went away.

When I engage the starter I get a grinding noise at the starter/flywheel. Anybody else had this issue? TIA

I just started having this problem today... At first it caught me off guard. I thought I had turned the key while the car was still running. But I confirmed it was off. Started it and did it again... I have turned off and started the cruiser a hand full of times and hasen't done it since. My question is, if I don't fix replace the starter fast, can this cause damage to the teeth of the flywheel? Should I buy a new unit or replace the contacts and plunger?

*One more question.... Does a bad Plunger or bad contacts cause the teeth on the starter and flywheel not align right, hence the grinding noise? Just trying to figure out why the grinding noise?

With the worn contacts the plunger sticks to the contacts and the starter continues to run. The starter runs slower than the running engine which is causing the noise. You need to disconnect the battery to stop the starter as the starter will burn up vwry quickly. Sometimes a good wack from a hammer on the starter will free the contacts and plunger. It is only a matter of a few more starts and that remedy will no longer work. Get the contacts and plunger replaced otherwise the starter is going to be major $$$

With the worn contacts the plunger sticks to the contacts and the starter continues to run. The starter runs slower than the running engine which is causing the noise. You need to disconnect the battery to stop the starter as the starter will burn up vwry quickly. Sometimes a good wack from a hammer on the starter will free the contacts and plunger. It is only a matter of a few more starts and that remedy will no longer work. Get the contacts and plunger replaced otherwise the starter is going to be major $$$

Thanks Phil. However my starter is not sticking while the engine is on, but when I attempt to start I get a loud grinding noise. I then let off the key, try to start again, and everything is fine....

*One more question.... Does a bad Plunger or bad contacts cause the teeth on the starter and flywheel not to align right, hence the grinding noise? Just trying to figure out why the grinding noise?

Can anyone confirm? Or is the grinding noise at start up possibly a broken flexplate/flywheel or the little drive gear on the starter.. Either way, I might as well check the flywheel... Does anyone remember what size socket to use to turn the crankshaft nut to rotate engine (to inspect the entire flywheel)? Sorry for all questions, just trying to understand what I have to buy, a complete starter or the contacts/plunger (that's if the flywheel checks out...)

Strange but true...

Yesterday I had a no start that caused me to pull my hair out for awhile and in doing so I came across the exact same noise. On mine, the starter would engage and the motor would begin to crank. Then as the motor starts to catch there is this horrid low frequency grind just for a moment. When I heard this I released the key and tried to start again. It started without issue. On a warm start it wouldn't happen. On a cold start it would happen almost every time. I came across this as I was tracing out vacuum lines and I inadvertently swapped 2. When I reversed my mistake this problem went away. When I swapped them back, the "starter" noise returned.

Obviously the vacuum lines have nothing to do with the starter, but they have a lot to do with fuel pressure. What I think is happening is a backfire rather than a grinding of the flywheel.

And yes, I know how crazy this sounds.

I just replaced my starter yesterday. Got the new one in and turned the key. When the engine started I got the loud squeel, grind etc. A sound you would expect maybe if you turned the key while the engine was running. Sometimes you have to shim a starter to get the allignment with the flywheel correct but you are not supopsed to have to do that with these rigs. I am returning the starter for another new one and will post if the problem is fixed. It seems like the starter is not dis-engaging quick enough. Mine does it every start.

I had the same problem. A new plunger and contacts did not solve it. Only switching out to another starter solved it for me. I looked at my old starter and it appears that some of the teeth on the bendix? apparatus were worn, whatever it is that connects to the flywheel.

the problem that I had was a loud noise upon start (intermittent) were it seemed like starter was skipping theets in the flywheel. I inspected the flywheel and everything was fine. Then I decided to replace my starter with a brand new OEM. A couple of months later, I now have the same issue. At this point, I can't think of anything else that could be damaged/loose in there. I got the noise this morning at cold start, turned the key to OFF, then tried again and everything was fine. I use the 2.0Kw, if that makes any difference

hello all, anyone solved this problem? i just had that same noise only on cold start and only happend twice since. but i dont want the car braking down

Strange but true...

Yesterday I had a no start that caused me to pull my hair out for awhile and in doing so I came across the exact same noise. On mine, the starter would engage and the motor would begin to crank. Then as the motor starts to catch there is this horrid low frequency grind just for a moment. When I heard this I released the key and tried to start again. It started without issue. On a warm start it wouldn't happen. On a cold start it would happen almost every time. I came across this as I was tracing out vacuum lines and I inadvertently swapped 2. When I reversed my mistake this problem went away. When I swapped them back, the "starter" noise returned.

Obviously the vacuum lines have nothing to do with the starter, but they have a lot to do with fuel pressure. What I think is happening is a backfire rather than a grinding of the flywheel.

And yes, I know how crazy this sounds.
Hello.

Could you specify which vacuume lines you switched?

thanks men

This is funny, my 94 will do this, but only when my wife tries to start it. I have not had the issue, but have literally watched it happen to her. My conclusion was its something she's doing with the key. I always start it the same way, key in, turn to on, let the fuel pump prime for a few seconds, turn to start. :meh:

Hello.

Could you specify which vacuume lines you switched?

thanks men
That post was 7 years ago and I didn't specify at the time, so I have no idea what I was working on to even swap vac lines in the first place. After some coffee, it doesn't seem likely that vacuum lines would have an effect. Vacuum is developed only after the motor catches and fuel pressure should be static during cranking.
I'm sure what I wrote made sense to me at the time, but I honestly don't remember.
I've had several no-starts/ridiculous crank times with my 91. The last one was caused by a worn/fractured distributor cap button.

Last edited:
That post was 7 years ago and I didn't specify at the time, so I have no idea what I was working on to even swap vac lines in the first place. After some coffee, it doesn't seem likely that vacuum lines would have an effect. Vacuum is developed only after the motor catches and fuel pressure should be static during cranking.
I'm sure what I wrote made sense to me at the time, but I honestly don't remember.
I've had several no-starts/ridiculous crank times with my 91. The last one was caused by a worn/fractured distributor cap button.
Jajajajaja. Yeah. Increíble to see something you say so long ago. I asp thought about the vacuum after engine actually starts. But just wanted to check.

I has only happens twice. But I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for the replays everyone. Lovely community.

Has anyone figured out what this might be? This is exactly what happens to mine.

On mine, the starter would engage and the motor would begin to crank. Then as the motor starts to catch there is this horrid low frequency grind just for a moment. When I heard this I released the key and tried to start again. It started without issue. On a warm start it wouldn't happen. On a cold start it would happen almost every time.

To reiterate, this sound happens before the vehicle is actually running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom