Starter/flywheel grinding noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started having this issue on my rig about 2 weeks ago out of the blue. Intermittent. I started reading all the topics here on replace contacts and plunger maintenance, proper grounding etc.

Conditions:
1) My starter "seems" to get great power and runs fast- Denso/Toyota reman 2yrs old
2) I get the flywheel grind- almost like the starter is not fully seating (extending) on activation
3) Happens randomly- cold or hot
4) Replaced old unit with some AC Delco (336-1594) I found in one of the posts here- bc it was accessible immediately to me
5) Same grind happens on this new unit
6) After some obnoxious lengthy grinding attempts the starter would eventually turn the motor over

I've found that putting on a NOCO 2000A jump box can sometimes overcome the issue.

Would this be a result to not having enough power to fully seat/ extend the plunger on the starters from the battery? I'm thinking that when I add the jump box it assists the issue.

The starters do not sound like they strain at all - as in a low power situation. (The AC Delco did look slightly different than the Toyota unit - so that may be an issue all on its own). I'm planning on buying a reman Denso to rule out the AC Delco incident- but wondering if I should be checking out other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom