Start vehicle with part of SRS system disconnected? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have my drivers seat uninstalled right now to replace my rear seat heater core. I disconnected the battery and then disconnected the yellow connectors and seat motor connectors.

Ideally, I’d like to run the truck seat out to pinpoint the leak and also verify that the used OEM part is also leak free.

Can I start the truck with the seat SRS module disconnected without setting a permanent SRS code? I assume there will be a dash light, but hoping it clears itself once everything is reconnected.

There's no such thing as a permanent code. A fault code only exists as long as the fault exists. Once the fault is resolved, the code can be cleared.

There's no such thing as a permanent code. A fault code only exists as long as the fault exists. Once the fault is resolved, the code can be cleared.
This is untrue of many modern vehicles. Some cars will have a permanent condition set with critical systems such as airbags. Once triggered, only the dealer tools can reset it.

This is untrue of many modern vehicles. Some cars will have a permanent condition set with critical systems such as airbags. Once triggered, only the dealer tools can reset it.
Well, we are talking about "many modern vehicles" are we? And, since the dealer can reset them, the codes aren't permanment, are they?

Well, we are talking about "many modern vehicles" are we? And, since the dealer can reset them, the codes aren't permanment, are they?
My dude, I want to know if there will be anything set that either my dealer or Techstream are the only method of clearing.

If I don’t have techstream and don’t feel like laying an hour of dealer labor, it’s pretty permanent.

Anyone else with any experience on this?

Some codes clear themselves. Others do require Tech stream. Both cases they only clear, once condition no longer present.

You should be able to clear codes by disconnecting battery for 20 minutes. The code may than still be in history, but CEL should be off. If CEL still present. Most parts store will read your codes for free. You can then ask them, to clear codes at same time. They'll typically say they can't press button to clear. But will let you press it, if you ask.

You can also keep wire harnesses connect and just tip seat back (all 4 seat, mounting bolts out). To do this you may need more lenght in wire. Disconnect wire hangers/straps well help.

BTW: It best to always disconnect battery not only before unplugging, but also before plugging in any wire harness.

It will throw a code because it thinks there is a fault in that seatbelt, yes. You CAN start and drive the vehicle just fine with the light flashing at you though.

Once the system is returned to working order it will clear because there will no longer be a fault.

I ran my LX without an RH pretensioner (it was getting repaired) for a few days while tracking down some other issues. Once it was reinstalled and buttoned back up the light went off.

It will throw a code because it thinks there is a fault in that seatbelt, yes. You CAN start and drive the vehicle just fine with the light flashing at you though.

Once the system is returned to working order it will clear because there will no longer be a fault.

I ran my LX without an RH pretensioner (it was getting repaired) for a few days while tracking down some other issues. Once it was reinstalled and buttoned back up the light went off.
awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom