Start Up Noises (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been hearing a lot more noise upon start up; jangling and clanging. The noise lets off after the truck warms up. I’ve had the injectors serviced about a year ago, and this noise is recent. I’m at 360,000 or so KMs. I was recommended to change the glow plugs- no problem, I’ve got them in the garage. Any other ideas?

• What engine is this?
  • Have you got a working oil pressure gauge?
  • How long is it taking for oil pressure to come up?
  • How bad is the smoke after it starts and how long does it take to clear up the smoke?

• What engine is this?
  • Have you got a working oil pressure gauge?
  • How long is it taking for oil pressure to come up?
  • How bad is the smoke after it starts and how long does it take to clear up the smoke?
1HDT. Oil pressure gauge works, and oil pressure comes up to normal within first 2-3 minutes- but I’ve not timed it. white smoke for about first 30 seconds, seems to abate after engines wakes up. Thanks!

Has your oil pressure always taken so long to come up?

What brand oil filter do you have?

Upon relooking truck- oil pressure fine within first couple of seconds. It was the temp that takes time,
I tried to install a set of glow plugs hat I had bought four years ago in Italy; but they did not screw in completely. Odd, as they looked visually identical to th plugs that came from the block. I’m now seeking OEM glow plugs!

jangling and clanging..video please? smoke? colour of smoke? fuel hoses good? oil condition?

If the 'j and c' goes once warm, makes you think that something in the engine expands to stop the noise...rings? valves?
maybe even engine mounts.

How does it run once warm?

Can't see how glows would change the warm up idle as they only heat up the fuel on initial start up. Correct me if I am wrong please somebody? Do direct engine injectors require constant glow? Can't imagine so. Are they electric injectors?

Once I installed incorrect nozzles, the engine bucked like a bronco, but it would never have eased off even if warm. So probably not your nozzles at least.

Not sure of the longevity of 1hdt engine, but should be more than 360k. It is a bit of a legend engine. My Dad use to warm up a 1946 massey tractor with a blow heater to warm her up before starting. But you should not need that sort of nursing.

I guess, it depends on how unsettling the jangling clanging is, if it runs well once warm.
A video would help.

Air in your fuel system? I was searching for an air leak in my fuel system and connected clear lines to and from the fuel filter so I could see whether there was air getting to the injector pump. I noticed that when air bubbles made their way to the IP, the IP could make some odd noises... more air meant more and odder noises, and the noises all but vanished when the bubbles disappeared or at least got small and infrequent. So maybe the noises are disappearing not because the engine is warm but the air has been bled out of the system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom