Stainless Brake Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mts

Threads
Anyone done this upgrade? I've got pretty good life left on my pads and rotors and just flushed the brake fluid, but I'm still not thrilled with the *soft feel* of the brakes. Just wondering how much the lines were expanding. Anyone done the stainless lines upgrade? Results?

Thanks,
Mike
:beer:

Mike,
I have changed out the brake lines and installed the MAF SS lines (2 front, 1 rear). The brake fluid was original (120k miles) when they were installed and a system flush was done with new Valvoline synthetic brake fluid. The improvement in brake feel was substantial. It's hard to say if the new fluid helped much but from what I've read, the SS lines helped a lot.

I recommend checking with All Pro (Chris Geiger's on this list) for their SS lines. The MAF lines are bare and the All Pro lines are sheathed with a plastic material. Sheathing will avoid problems if the brake lines start rubbing on other bits under the truck (e.g. breather hoses.)

Get longer brake lines if you plan to go with the OME L-shocks at some point.

-B-

I suggest you go longer lines even with the N73/N74 shocks. The extended length of these shocks is about 1 7/16 inches longer than stock. Stock lines at the full drop of stock shocks are right at the limit, the extra inch + of drop with the OME shocks could stress the stock lines (and breathers).
Also, pay attention to the routing of the brake hose for the rear axle. When the suspension is compressed the hose could possibly touch the exhaust pipe (been there, burned a hose thru :eek: )
D-

I did my break line upgrade when I installed my J springs and N73/N74 shocks. I have to say that the break pedal feels more firmly now than it did before the install. Now I would like to change the break lines that run on the front calipers.
BTW, in order to make sure that the MAF break lines mount properly on the brake line brackets, I would recommend using a shim. The ones I used have a outer diameter of 0.875" and an inner diameter of 0.626".

Regards

Alvaro

22Sep2003 (UTC -7)

This has a logical argument against stainless steel brake lines:
http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/brakelines.html

I currently have it in my HDJ-80L, and along with DOT4 brake fluid and slotted & cross-drilled DBA discs, it helps stop my 6,500lb beast in reasonable distance, on- and off-road. And yes, my stainless steel brake lines are not (USA) DOT-approved. But the writer is right, how would I know if my brake lines are worn? How many of you use stainless steel brake lines too?

Got the SS lines and Speed Bleeders installed last weekend. Bled all four corners, but still need to do the load sensing bleeder. I am hoping that is why I still have a weak pedal on the first step down. The first pedal push goes down I would guess 3/4 of the way to the floor, one pump and it is back to maybe half way. I am to the point that if bleeding the load sensing doesn't give me good pedal, I may have to find a bypass for that !@@#$% thing...

Yomama

Drexx,

Thanks for the link. There is a lot of good information and the author appears to know his material and he did a good bit of research. However, I think that it is a little harsh to say that (undated) article is "logical argument against stainless steel brake lines." In fact the author says he uses SS brake lines.

FWIW, the MAF brake lines are DOT approved according to their web site.
http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/StainlessSteelBraidedDOTBrakeLines.htm

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=5508;start=msg44699#msg44699 date=1064468386]
medtro,

Chris says "Yes they are covered with a clear plastic sleeve that is shrunk to fit onto the line."

This quote was from an old post. I don't have the All Pro lines and I have never seen them in person. He posted a pic a while back but I cannot find it.
-B-

[/quote]

Another possibility is to use shrink wrap over the lines and a hairdryer to shrink it (vs. a flame). I'm not sure if the tube would be too large to shrink though. I got my SS lines custom-made at a local Earl's Perf. shop. You can get them w/ SS ends (for those of you in the rustbelt, but they are $$). The ends are reuseable, unlike the crimped-on ends (just replace the olive), so you can replace the hoses in the future and use the same ends. I seem to recall most of the cost of my 3 hoses ($135 incl. 8.25% tax) was from the SS ends (around $18/ea). If you have ones like this made, you can easily cut shrink wrap to fit before they install the ends (done while you wait).

Hooligan,

http://www.allprooffroad.com/brake.html

0082.jpg

" ... these lines are DOT approved for use on the street. "
-B-

(Doesn't anyone use Google any more?)

I use goggles all the ti.........Oh, forget it, nevermind........ :doh:

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=5508;start=msg44914#msg44914 date=1064527902]
(Doesn't anyone use Google any more?)[/quote]
Yo B - no reason to use google when you do it for 'em.

Personally, I am anti Google. :flipoff2: Greatly prefer the searchassistant and altavista. :flipoff2:

WHere's that darn Geiger dude when ya need him. ::) :D - anyone know if those are OEM style fittings on teh allpo's? Or ya gotta rig 'em up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom