speedometer stopped working , but the OBD port shows the speed sensor works (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey need some help,ON My 2005 with 300K the speedometer stopped working this morning. I noticed when i cranked the truck early today the RPM gauged lagged for a few seconds then worked fine. As I started down the road I noticed the Speedo pegged at 0?
Took it to work plugged in OBD scanner and drove around the speed sensor showed the speed he computer,
But the Speedometer in the cluster was still at zero?
Things I checked so far?
Alternator is 14volts
Checked both gauge clusters fuses in kick panel they were good 10 amps both good,
Any tips on what to do next
Can you guys help?
Should I pull the cluster and maybe try to clean the contacts ?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Hey need some help,ON My 2005 with 300K the speedometer stopped working this morning. I noticed when i cranked the truck early today the RPM gauged lagged for a few seconds then worked fine. As I started down the road I noticed the Speedo pegged at 0?
Took it to work plugged in OBD scanner and drove around the speed sensor showed the speed he computer,
But the Speedometer in the cluster was still at zero?
Things I checked so far?
Alternator is 14volts
Checked both gauge clusters fuses in kick panel they were good 10 amps both good,
Any tips on what to do next
Can you guys help?
Should I pull the cluster and maybe try to clean the contacts ?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Not sure whether your OBD scanner is looking at wheel speed sensors (used by ABS etc) or vehicle speed sensor (used by speedometer in instrument cluster)?

The visuals in the video at this link may give a few ideas where to look:

Also suggest have a look at diagrams and check harness, connectors and sensors at:
LC100 Workshop Manual - https://lc100e.github.io/ -- go to drop-down items in Index panel at LHS of opening page
+ Repair Manual
+ AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION (A750F)
+ VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR (2002.8 - )
+ ON-VEHICLE REPAIR

Also see the diagrams at

+ TRANSFER (Full-Time 4WD type)
+ TRANSFER UNIT
+ COMPONENTS

Could be a stepper motor inside of instrument cluster that went out. One of my LX's has had this issue occur very intermittently for a couple years so I assume one day it will die for good.

@IndroCruise thank you so much for the link, when I pull the drop down I can't find the Speed Sensor, I am an old man LOL , Any way now the cluster is lagging at start up everything pegs to zero for about the first 3-9 seconds meanwhile the speedo barely pulses for a few seconds then nothing. I guess I will order a speed sensor this weekend for it and try that route, I left the battery disconnected for a week to see if it might fix itself. No Luck, thanks again

@IndroCruise thank you so much for the link, when I pull the drop down I can't find the Speed Sensor, I am an old man LOL , Any way now the cluster is lagging at start up everything pegs to zero for about the first 3-9 seconds meanwhile the speedo barely pulses for a few seconds then nothing. I guess I will order a speed sensor this weekend for it and try that route, I left the battery disconnected for a week to see if it might fix itself. No Luck, thanks again

The pic below shows the location in the FSM of the reference to the Vehicle Speed Sensor -- and the full FSM article also is attached further below for convenience.

As mentioned above by @Flipped Bezel, the "stepper motors" within the instrument cluster also need to be considered. One of these small motors drives each instrument, including the speedo. Best to search IH8MUD. For example, this thread gives the idea:

Vehicle Speed Sensor A750F.jpg

Attachments

• Speed Sensor On-Vehicle Repair for A750F Auto Trans.pdf
    80.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Could be a stepper motor inside of instrument cluster that went out. One of my LX's has had this issue occur very intermittently for a couple years so I assume one day it will die for good.
This is my guess as well. If the truck is reading accurate speed but is not showing in the cluster, odds are the motors are burning out. The speedo may come back here and there, but it will eventually just die. I've had this going on for about 2 years in my 05 as well. I thought the speedo had finally died but it surprised me this week by working 3-4 days. A rebuild from Tanin Auto electric will run you about $700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom