Speedometer problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently replaced the speedo cable, housing, gears that attach to the transfer, etc., with new CDan parts cause the speedometer had stopped working. The gears were stripped on the old one. So after I installed the new parts, my speedometer worked for about 3 miles or so. The gears are stripped again and I even have some metal shavings. What gives???

Thanks,

Meatloaf

Metal Shavings ? where ?

I'm presuming the worn down stuff is in the transfer-case output shaft area....

been a while since I've been in mine...but isn't the 'gear' for the cable (where the cable plugs in) plastic (nylon?)....is the driving gear (ring around the output shaft) and the nylon gear mating ( as in matched?)

Check to ensure the other end of speedo cable plugged into speedometer correctly
and that there's no kinks in cable 'tween trnsfer & speedometer....

Oh, when I did my 'gears' I only needed the nylon gear & tube thingy....the 'kit' came with extra washeers, O rings and a felt spacer....I didn;t need (cause old stuff comming out) didn't have it....

mmmm, I wonder if there's a 'front-back' to that driving gear thingy....

Good luck with it,

Pete

Metal Shavings ? where ?

Thanks Pete.

The metal shavings were on the nylon gear... when I replaced the new gear everything just slipped into place so I assumed things matched. speedo side seems good with no kinks... The only thing I did not secure was the cable housing to the chassis...

is there a way you could maybe hook up a drill to either end and spin it to see if it's binding? I'd start with neither of the sides connected then use the drill on both ends then with one end hooked up. You might be able to tell this way where it's locking up. Sounds like something is locking up causing your gear to get chewed up.:confused:

is there a way you could maybe hook up a drill to either end and spin it to see if it's binding? I'd start with neither of the sides connected then use the drill on both ends then with one end hooked up. You might be able to tell this way where it's locking up. Sounds like something is locking up causing your gear to get chewed up.:confused:

I did connect a drill to the TC side and the speedo was working... I am going to reorder the gear and try it again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom