speedometer generator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an early 1976 FJ40. I am replacing the odometer and trying to fix a jumpy speedometer. I ordered a long speedo cable and when I went to put it in, I find this generator thing on the firewall. I can't find any documentation on what the generator does (except a picture on SOR), whether its important, or why I can't just bypass it. I have seen a few postings on the subject but nothing that addresses the purpose of the generator. Anyone kopw about this, and whethe its OK to just bypass it with a long cable?

Peterbiere,
I had one on my late '75 FJ40 as well. I am fairly confident that it was just used for emission contol. I took mine off and used a cable that went directly into the instrument cluster. If I remember correctly, the ratio was 1:1 for the device, so it doesn't matter if you have it. Of course, I assume that you have (or will) eliminate the emission control accessories.

There may be something different with the instrument cluster speedo gearing, but I don't know enough about the breakpoints for the different instrument clusters. There probably is someone that reads the forum that can tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom