Speedometer cable and housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a new speedometer cable and cable housing for my 91. I am having trouble locating one and I decided to check flea bay. I found one that cones from the land down under. Can anyone confirm if this is a Toyota oem part that will fit an American 1991 fj80? I am afraid it won't fit an American rig and that it is not a Toyota oem part, Thanks
For Toyota Landcruiser FJ80 Series Speedo Cable 90-92 | eBay

Here’s one from Japan.

It is discontinued. None of those sites are going to be able to get it.

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 09.02.44.png

Thanks Onur, that confirms what I thought. I checked partsouq.com first and it showed unavailable and my local Toyota guy said the same thing. For $30 dollars I am tempted to just order it from ebay and give it a shot...... But I just have a bad feeling that the cables will be different lengths for LHD vs RHD models.

Yes. Cables LH and RH will be different. They will be different between auto tranny and manual as well.

Can you do a replacement cable like used for classic cars? It is square on one end, then you cut to length and crimp on a drive end.

Anyone have a length of the 60171 cable handy? We may have a 6x/7x variant cable that may work. Clips & heat shields are not likely to match up but length may. I need to see if we have ordered or can order a Japanese aftermarket application specific cable.

Anyone have a length of the 60171 cable handy? We may have a 6x/7x variant cable that may work. Clips & heat shields are not likely to match up but length may. I need to see if we have ordered or can order a Japanese aftermarket application specific cable.
Yeah, cruiser outfitters to the rescue. I am sure if you could figure out a replacement for these rigs you would sell alot of them.

My mechanic friend said that the cable housing gets full of old degraded grease and dirt causing the cable to bind. He has removed them before and cleaned them out with brake cleaner or other types of solvent followed by new grease. He said that he has fixed a handful from different vehicles with this method.

My cable looked fine so I cleaned it really well, greased the cable and reinstalled. This fixed the issue for about a month then we saw a cold snap and the screaming speedometer returned. I think I am going to follow my friends advice and remove the entire cable housing for a deep cleaning..... I just hate the idea of tearing into the dash and not replacing with a new part lol.

Yeah, cruiser outfitters to the rescue. I am sure if you could figure out a replacement for these rigs you would sell alot of them.

My mechanic friend said that the cable housing gets full of old degraded grease and dirt causing the cable to bind. He has removed them before and cleaned them out with brake cleaner or other types of solvent followed by new grease. He said that he has fixed a handful from different vehicles with this method.

My cable looked fine so I cleaned it really well, greased the cable and reinstalled. This fixed the issue for about a month then we saw a cold snap and the screaming speedometer returned. I think I am going to follow my friends advice and remove the entire cable housing for a deep cleaning..... I just hate the idea of tearing into the dash and not replacing with a new part lol.
If it's the speedometer screaming, then it COULD be the speedometer itself needing the lube. A couple drops of engine oil in the back of the gauge where the cable connects will be enough to satisfy it.

I do this on my old Studebaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom