Speedo stopped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got the 40 today, on the way home from work the speedo just flops to zero. I haven't even gotten a chance to find a manual yet. Any suggestions, common failures to check? ??? Oh yeah its a 78.

the cables snap all the time. I lived in alaska and do to the cold air it would never work. I replaced it twice and it immediately snapped again. unplug it from the back of the gauge cluster and see if you can freely spin the inner cable. If so it's snapped. Get a new one from coolcruisers or any cruiser outfit

On my FJ60 it snapped inside the housing right near where it connects to the transfer case (turns out my skid plate got pushed up into the cable!).

Not sure how easy it is to take it out of a 40 dash, but for me it was easier to check by going underneath and unscrewing down there and extracting the cable core to check it--I had only about 1.5" come out.

Having bought a $20 aftermarket and then a $43 OEM cable, I say go OEM replacement--not a lot of slack, but seemed much higher quality, much more flexible.

[quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=9924;start=msg87979#msg87979 date=1073696516]
I say go OEM replacement--not a lot of slack, but seemed much higher quality, much more flexible.
[/quote]

Roger that.

yeah, it's broke.

I have the SOR one piece, it seems to work alright.

I could send you my old SOR aftermarket with the broken housing....

yep its broke had same problem last week ripped cable out of 72 and plugged it in works perfectly now

merc :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom