speedo cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello my peeps, just had my transmission rebuilt on the FJ62, but my speedometer is not working. I replaced the transfer case speedo gear and it worked for a few miles, then quit again. Please advise if you can! thank y'all!

The speedometer is driven by a rotating cable.
To verify that the cable is spinning on the other end, you could remove the instrument panel, jack up the rear wheels, disconnect the cable from the speedo and verify that it's spinning as the rear wheels rotate. If it is and it was plugged in securely before, then the meter is dead or the cable socket is stripped.
If the cable isn't spinning, either it's broken internally or the plastic gear isn't meshing correctly at the transfer case

ok, I will surely try this when I have time this weekend. thank you for your input! also, on the gear piece itself, there are two slots on either side of the little bolt/shaft where the speedo cable fits, but the cable only has one piece that sticks out to slide into the shaft of the gear bolt, thereby turning it. does this sound right to you, or could it be that my speedo cable lost one of its little pieces on one side that's supposed to fit into this slot on the gear bolt, into both slots? does that make sense? thanks again man!

Easiest way I know to check the cable is disconnect at the transfer case. Use a drill to spin the cable and have a helper watch the gauge to see if it moves.

My cable broke recently and on advice from another member I've ordered a GPS speedo from speedhut.

Not sure this is it, but you need the correct driven plastic gear for the type of steel drive gear in the t'case output shaft. Since you said you replaced it and it worked for a short while. If the number of teeth don't match, it chews up the plastic gear very quickly.

There are threads on this issue (if that's it and it's not the cable, etc) but you'll have to search a bit.

This is from an earlier manual, but it applies, I believe, though I have no experience with FJ62s...

1566331956760.png

1566331988143.png

1566331571512.png

yes, this is great! mine is certainly the 18 teeth gear, which is what I currently have. for what it's worth, the mechanic who rebuilt my transmission told me the speedo gear had burned up inside the transfer case when he removed it...so perhaps something else was damaged? I'm going to try the drill trick this weekend. thank y'all much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom