Speedo and Odometer in my Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H

Hodag

Can someone figure out why the speedo in my pig works, and the odometer doesnt? Dont they run off the same cable? I am running a 350/TH400 and the cable is running to the stock location. Just cant figure out why one works but not the other. Hodag

Stock speedo/odo?

Yes, they run off the same cable. Your problem is extremely common. Odo is gummed up. Solution is to take it out and rebuild.

I used to have this problem. In my '68, the cable enters the back of the speedo/odo unit. A set of plastic gears takes the odo drive around the speedo drive mechanism. When it got really cold, the grease in it got too solid and the plastic gears broke. As far as I know, you can't buy just the broken gear parts, at least not from Toyota). I rebuilt mine twice with used ones from junkyards ( you can take the odo apart and reset all the numbers to "0" when you do it if you want.) The third time it broke was back in 1983, and I never fixed it again.
I recommend pulling yours out and looking at it. It really isn't too difficult to take apart. At least then you can clean and lube everything.

As said before, inside the speedo are a bunch of plastic gears (one for each number wheel). On each of these gears is a pin that rolls once a revolution to turn the next (to the left) wheel, if one of these pins break or fall out you will stop getting a mileage count from that wheel or higher. Mine broke again at the 1's wheel 19 miles after fixing it so now mine counts from 10 miles to 19 miles over and over again.

if your guts are busted you can swap the guts from another 55 odo and prolly even a fj40. I know the latter 40's use the same guts as a J60-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom