Speed dependent squeak appeared out of the blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellow mudders,

I have a problem with my 97 LX450 that arised this morning, Half way through my commute to work the truck started squeaking BAD! so i pulled off the road to see if it was my engine or drive train. it turns out the the squeak is SPEED dependent NOT rpm dependent. i am thinking it is either the transmission or transfer case because of the speed of the squeak relative to my speed so not a bad wheel bearing. i am going to take it to a shop down here in denver to see if the can diagnose it and then i would most likely fix it myself but i wanted to see what other 80-series owners thought or if anyone has had a similar problem. Thanks in advance.

why not stop by Robbie (a.k.a. powderpig here on MUD), he is right in Boulder ?

why not stop by Robbie (a.k.a. powderpig here on MUD), he is right in Boulder ?

does he own a shop in boulder? i might shoot him a message but i dont really want to drive another 20 miles on it with it squeaking to prolifically and damage it more.

Wouldn't a wheel bearing be speed dependent and not RPM dependent? That makes me think wheel bearing or brakes.

Wouldn't a wheel bearing be speed dependent and not RPM dependent? That makes me think wheel bearing or brakes.

yes a wheel bearing would be but what leads me to think its not a wheel bearing is that when i pulled off the highway i went to a parking lot and put it in 4-lo, when driving in 4-lo the squeak speed was not consistent with the speed of the wheel but more so with the speed of the transmission/transfer case. idk if that makes sense but i definitely need an expert opinion :rolleyes:.

That makes sense. A quick thing to look at is your exhaust mounts. If the rubber mounts break, your muffler can rub on your driveshaft.

That makes sense. A quick thing to look at is your exhaust mounts. If the rubber mounts break, your muffler can rub on your driveshaft.

sweet ill give that a look at lunch, also anyone know what show powderpig works at in boulder, might try and give him a call!

of course its never quite this simple, all exhaust mounts are intact!

Well, if you have a center diff lock switch you could pull one driveshaft at a time and drive around. I had a bad u-joint in my Tacoma driveshaft that resulted in alot of squealing. If you don't hear it with one removed that's likely the problem. You could also just try greasing them to see if it helps.

yea im going to have a shop in Denver see if they can atleast figure out what the hell is making the noise im just nervious about taking it on the freeway again and my grease gun and tools are at home so that will probably be on hte list of things to do!

Sounding like it may be a wheel bearing, had a co-worker drive my truck while i was on the outside and it sounds like its coming from the wheel assemply. we'll see what the shop (Toyexus in Denver) says.

You can get out the jack, lift the wheel grab it on opposite sides, and see if you can rock it.

Sure it's not the brakes? I had a similar problem I thought was a wheel bearing but it turned out to just be really worn pads. They squealed even without the brakes applied. Any obvious grooves in your rotors?

You can get out the jack, lift the wheel grab it on opposite sides, and see if you can rock it.

Sure it's not the brakes? I had a similar problem I thought was a wheel bearing but it turned out to just be really worn pads. They squealed even without the brakes applied. Any obvious grooves in your rotors?

Well i just got home and the shop i took it too first thought wheel bearing but once they got it in the air their saying my front u-joints are toast. how hard is it to rebuild these suckers? i believe i have the DC shaft from slee because it has the slee 4" kit on it.

sqee

if then squeek sounds like its moving about 3 to 4 tims fastwer than your tires its a ujoint or if u haf a cv shaft maby the ball stud and center kit

if then squeek sounds like its moving about 3 to 4 tims fastwer than your tires its a ujoint or if u haf a cv shaft maby the ball stud and center kit

yea i just talked to slee so im going in the first thing in the a.m. to see if its one of their old old old DC shafts that cant be fixed or one of the newer shafts that can be rebuilt. hopefully its the later. anyone know a good driveline shop in denver or boulder?

Rocky Mountain Driveline. Had mine done there. I believe Slee has them done there as well. I'd highly recommend tem.

Rocky Mountain Driveline. Had mine done there. I believe Slee has them done there as well. I'd highly recommend tem.

yea i believe from what the Slee guys said on the phone is that they out source the driveline work. i wonder how much it'd cost to get a custom shaft built by rocky mountain. also land tank has a DC shaft for 525 and Slees is 650 or so.

Just rebuild what you have. No need to toss the expensive hard parts when more than likely you need a ujoint or two.

thats what im hoping i can do, will see tomorrow a.m. would love to rebuild it before the weekend if i can get parts that soon so i dont have to head to the mountains in 2wd or with a squeaky driveshaft :bang:

sooo took it to slee and they said my driveshaft was toast, slip yoke, u joints...everything. apparently the original owners never greased it in its many years of service. so i have a new shaft to put on my i can not get the bolts holding it to the transfer case off for the life of PB blasted them but they are on there GOOD! anyone have a similar problem with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom