Speaker options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The driver on my drivers door finally gave up the ghost and i am hoping to do a mild upgrade on the speakers. I have non-nav no ML system. After pulling the door panel off the lower driver looks to be a 6x9 2 channel speaker. The mid looks to be a 3 1/4 with the tweeter at the top. I want to upgrade the speakers in the same factory holes. I have a 6 1/2 driver and tweeter that will work. I will have to use a 6x9 to 6 1/2 adapter for the lower door. Does anyone know the factory mid range speaker size and woild be a good option? I searched but couldnt find anything specific on speaker replacements.

Following this. I need to replace all my speakers but I’m pretty sure the small front door ones are toast

Do you even need to replace the middle one if its that small? Many speakers now come all in one with a main speaker and a tweeter on a post in the middle. I believe it’s better to have all the speakers at the same distance from your ear rather than a popular trend that was out in the early 2000’s to move the tweeters up high on the doors.

I would lean towards disconnecting the two other speakers in the doors and just use one good dual speaker. But doing this could make your mid and tweet controls screwy?

Since my original post i ended up installing a 6 1/2 two way bass mid range in the the original 6x9 grill and replacing the tweeter. I used the original grill and modified it to fit the 6x9 grill. I just disconnected the middle speaker. I didnt want to install a three way 6x9 because the original system was crossed over for a two way and i didnt want to mess with wiring.

Has anyone tried this 6x9 8-ohm mid bass from TP Speakers? Close to Mark Levinson front door 6x9. Only mid bass 8ohm 6x9 I could find. The depth is gonna to be very close. I think I might give them a try.

Model: W69-1042J

SUITABLE FOR SUBWOOFER APPLICATION
DIAPHRAGM MTL SURROUND MTL NOMINAL IMPEDANCE DCR IMPEDANCE SENSITIVITY 1W/1m FREQUENCY RESPONSE FREEAIRRESONANCE VOICE COIL DIAMETER AIR GAP HEIGHT
RATED POWER INPUT MAXIMUM POWER INPUT FORCE FACTOR, BL
TYPE OF MAGNET MOVING MASS FERROFLUID ENHANCED SUSPENSION COMPLIANCE EFFECTIVEPISTONAREA Levc
Non-Pressed Paper Rubber W Sahpe 8 W 6.5 W 87 dB 35-350 Hz 35 Hz 38.5 mm 8 mm 90 W 170 W 13.27 TM Ferrite 49.89 g No
417.060 uMN-1 0.0226 M2
VOICE:886.2.26570282 FAX:886.2.26580166 E-MAIL :info@tb-speaker.com
Zo X-max Vas Qts Qms
0.911 mh 68 W 7.3 mm 30.25 Litr 0.37 3.93 Qes 0.40

Has anyone tried this 6x9 8-ohm mid bass from TP Speakers? Close to Mark Levinson front door 6x9. Only mid bass 8ohm 6x9 I could find. The depth is gonna to be very close. I think I might give them a try.

Model: W69-1042J

SUITABLE FOR SUBWOOFER APPLICATION
DIAPHRAGM MTL SURROUND MTL NOMINAL IMPEDANCE DCR IMPEDANCE SENSITIVITY 1W/1m FREQUENCY RESPONSE FREEAIRRESONANCE VOICE COIL DIAMETER AIR GAP HEIGHT
RATED POWER INPUT MAXIMUM POWER INPUT FORCE FACTOR, BL
TYPE OF MAGNET MOVING MASS FERROFLUID ENHANCED SUSPENSION COMPLIANCE EFFECTIVEPISTONAREA Levc
Non-Pressed Paper Rubber W Sahpe 8 W 6.5 W 87 dB 35-350 Hz 35 Hz 38.5 mm 8 mm 90 W 170 W 13.27 TM Ferrite 49.89 g No
417.060 uMN-1 0.0226 M2
VOICE:886.2.26570282 FAX:886.2.26580166 E-MAIL :info@tb-speaker.com
Zo X-max Vas Qts Qms
0.911 mh 68 W 7.3 mm 30.25 Litr 0.37 3.93 Qes 0.40

How did this turn out? I need to start this project now too. Passenger front lowest speaker sounds like its falling apart, I would like to replace it with as plug-n-play as possible.

How did this turn out? I need to start this project now too. Passenger front lowest speaker sounds like its falling apart, I would like to replace it with as plug-n-play as possible.

6x9 in the bottom, 2.75" speaker in the middle, tweeter up top. You can buy a 6x9 component set, add a 2.75", and replace the 2-way crossover with a 3-way.

I put a 6.5" and an adapter in the front doors of min and i am very happy with mid-bass output/quality. I installed some Silver Flute 4 Ohm 6.5" in my non-ML system. I kept the current mids and tweeters and they blend quite well and minimal EQ was needed. I would like to upgrade the sub at some point in the future...

For anyone interested in a plug and play solution for the lower front door speaker. This is no nav not ML set up. I don’t know if it would work for those. JBL 6x9 with the Metra adaptersfor the mount and wiring. I can send pics if interested. Thanks. I have this set up for sale if interested.

Last edited:
Just got my door panel off and my speaker looks flawless. Foam area around perimeter has no tears or brittleness. The sound (rattle/vibration) sounds like its coming from dead center. I’m pretty handy but I’m not a speaker or audio guy. Is there a way to fix that? Or is replacement in order? I’m trying to figure out how to post video.

Just got my door panel off and my speaker looks flawless. Foam area around perimeter has no tears or brittleness. The sound (rattle/vibration) sounds like its coming from dead center. I’m pretty handy but I’m not a speaker or audio guy. Is there a way to fix that? Or is replacement in order? I’m trying to figure out how to post video.

Sounds like a blown voice coil to me. (At least 20+ year ago me knew that to be true when you put too much power to a subwoofer for too long or in too shallow a speaker box ...that is how it would sound to me). I would replace. Especially if you unscrew the speaker and hold it in your hand and it still makes the noise ...not just a errant speaker wire vibrating on the back of it.

blown speaker. Physical damage is usually due to time/deterioration of the material... Blown speakers are about the voice coil.

honestly, I'd invest in aftermarket speakers and an amp that can take the input from the head unit and "flatten it out" and provide clean power/sound. JL Audio for one... but there are many.

Ok. I ordered some Rockford Fosgate 6x9 to attempt a replacement. I was reading on the club Lexus forum about how this would work. Specifically Post#20:
I hope it’s nice and easy and works as expected. If it does and sounds good I’ll leave it as is. I don’t really want to get into a sub woofer or amp replacement.

Ok. I ordered some Rockford Fosgate 6x9 to attempt a replacement. I was reading on the club Lexus forum about how this would work. Specifically Post#20:
I hope it’s nice and easy and works as expected. If it does and sounds good I’ll leave it as is. I don’t really want to get into a sub woofer or amp replacement.

Not sure if you got the adapters, but this makes plug and play easier:

Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota Vehicles Amazon product ASIN B0002BBP7Y
And you will need this to mount it if you didn't order:

Metra 82-8146 6" x 9" Front Speaker Adapter for Select Lexus and Toyota Vehicles Amazon product ASIN B00IIC6CPE

That's good to hear! You and I had completely opposite experiences, haha, pulled mine and there wasn't a single piece of factory foam remaining connected to the speaker(s), had to pick it all out from the bottom of the door:

Passenger side
hdjCEab.jpg

Drivers side
IZrULH9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom