Spare tire on roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a conferr roof rack that I had on my jeep cherokee that I am thinking about putting on the fj. I was wondering how the body sway is with a tire up there? For right now the roof rack is lots cheaper than a rear tire carrier!!

Tim

There was a thread a while back that covered that pretty well. I tried to search :flipoff2: for it and came up empty handed. :rolleyes:

One of the comments I remember was be sure the rack is mounted well enough to the vehicle and that the tire is mounted well enough to the rack so that everything stays attached in a collision.

Tim -

I carried a spare (and also, foolishly a complete extra set) of 16 x 33" on a Confer rack for awhile some years ago. The rack held up well enough, but it is way too much weight that high up in the air. Not to mention the back-breaking effort to get the suckers up and down.

Doing it now with a better rack (planned...) and tire on a rear carrier.

Cheers, R - K6RG

I concur wtih Ron - it's a back breaker hauling the wheel up & down. Once I lost control of the wheel and it slid down the side and broke my sideview mirror! Now, I'm planning on mounting it on the tire carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom