Spare tire on rear door possible on gx470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Enjoy

Enjoy

got one on order. A few are rocking it on Instagram already.

Ok. So a good bunch of folks have been running these bolt-on spare tire mounts on their rear doors for a while now. I'm really wanting to get my spare out of the cargo area (its too big for going back underneath--I've tried), and I'm considering getting one of these bolt-on mounts. But I am concerned about the hinges and the seam-weld of the door still. I realize that both these bolt-on solutions have a lower support that supports the weight of the carrier/door when the door is *closed*. But what about when the door is open? I remember reading about the Prado 120 rear door failures on PradoPoint and elsewhere and most were sounding like the hinge/weld crack issue was happening when the door was in the *open* position and/or being opened (or attempted to open) too far.

Are none of you that are running them concerned with that happening?

Seems there is all sorts of stuff people are piling on there with the mount and tire too: ladders, gas/water cans, huge fold down tables on the inside (and then stoves and all sorts of stuff piled on there when the door is *open*).... Nobody concerned about all the weight?

So aside from just not doing it, or limiting any other extra weight other than the mount and tire, any other thoughts on how to keep the hinges and seam-weld in good shape?

And also, anybody with a GX that's had a hinge or seam-weld issue as of yet...?

Last edited:
Coming from an 80 series and missing the rear gate on that I really wanted to be able to make this swing out door useful.

So I have an Orangeboxx rear table and the JWoffroad tire carrier. I worry about it. I think it comes down to opening the door carefully. If you were to let the door swing open on its own on a hill it could do damage. There is no real "bump stop" its just the hinge and that transfers all that force to the seam right next to the hinges.

So far I am actually becoming more confident that the door is able to handle the load. Closed there seems to be NO issue. I will say with my tire carrier it is very stout and I don't worry about any issues from the way it is mounted to the door.

Coming from an 80 series and missing the rear gate on that I really wanted to be able to make this swing out door useful.

So I have an Orangeboxx rear table and the JWoffroad tire carrier. I worry about it. I think it comes down to opening the door carefully. If you were to let the door swing open on its own on a hill it could do damage. There is no real "bump stop" its just the hinge and that transfers all that force to the seam right next to the hinges.

So far I am actually becoming more confident that the door is able to handle the load. Closed there seems to be NO issue. I will say with my tire carrier it is very stout and I don't worry about any issues from the way it is mounted to the door.

Thanks for responding to theferg with your direct experiences. I'm a new GX470 owner and am also looking at mounting my full size spare (33") on the back. How hard was the install? I am not sure if I can bring myself to drilling holes in the hatch... gonna be hard to do.

RIGd swingaway......yes come with license tag relocation....

used flat 4 trailer connection for lamps.....

just a thought......

pUkxubU.jpg

SAwgQHA.jpg

Thanks for responding to theferg with your direct experiences. I'm a new GX470 owner and am also looking at mounting my full size spare (33") on the back. How hard was the install? I am not sure if I can bring myself to drilling holes in the hatch... gonna be hard to do.

I would allot a Saturday to it to actually get it all done wiring and all. You will need a 2nd set of hands at some point. But I only needed the wifey once and did the rest myself.

I run a JW carrier. It's been on since Oct and I've put plenty of rough miles on it. As was said before, the door needs to be guided open. Letting it swing open with its own weight is what beats up.the hinges and door seams.

I have a 35 mounted to my JW carrier and it's still feeling solid.

We have had the ACC Becky on for a little over a year at this point. Several wheeling trips under the belt and a number of general road miles. 33" spare carried on it for the entire time. So far no issues on the hinges. As noted, keeping the door under control is the key I believe as well. If you did the strut mod, you will want to go back to the factory stop. A strut won't hold a door loaded with a tire open on a side slope. Hinges a potential fail point, sure, but I'd say most folks will blow the factory rear before the hinges give out.

We have been very happy with our mount. Check out the JW vs. ACC thread a few down. There are videos of both in that thread that you can watch to get a little better idea what you are looking at.

Funny I actually asked for that option early on as well. But when they had their Black Friday sale I went ahead with the centered version. I still think an off center would be best. But I’m happy with mine now.

Can anyone elaborate on the mounting of the JW tire mount? What structural metal are they bolting up to?

I've been working with a local fabricator recently, and I hope to be coming up with a frame-mount option in the not too distant future. I'm hoping this will be the best of both the on-door carrier and a frame/bumper carrier worlds. I'm now in the process of trying to convince him there's enough of a market to be worth his while to design and build this setup.

I presume there are multiple people - like me - who are interested in a heavy-duty, yet simpler tire carrier alternative to a replacement bumper?

I think the issue is that no one has had a failure on the JW tire carrier. That's over a year of use on a lot of trucks and some of the guys really do run their rigs hard off-road. The pricing and convenience of the JW carrier is why they sell a ton of them. If you can compete with the price and convince (opening just the door no extra latches) and provide a stronger system then you would have the business for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom