Spare tire blues!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought my FJ80 a couple of months ago and was naively thinking a spare tire won't be hard to find for this thing. Ran into a few snags along the road- seems like my wheel and tire configuration just plain old spells out "spend 'till you're broke" for any combo I've been able to conjure up in my imagination.

The rig came with 17" Fuel (Beast series) wheels with 37 x 12.50 ProComp tires (six lug of course). Trying to find something used has proved futile so far so I was wondering if anyone had some insight as to how wide of a wheel will I need to fit a 37" tire onto? Mine are 10" wide but, never having delved into oversize tire issues before I am not familiar with what works and is available. The tires are fairly new but have some wear so I am reluctant to buy a new tire and rim because the new spare would be slightly bigger around and tire rotation incorporation of the spare probably isn't a good idea? (beside which I'd be looking at $500 or more for a spare?)

I'm reluctant to go out 4 wheeling until I get something for assurance and I didn't buy the truck to sit in the driveway!

My sad and lonely spare tire mount-
IMG_0674.JPG

Thanks

I've always run 8"-9" wide wheels with 12.50 tires. They hold the bead better than a wider wheel and also provide a little more protection for the lip of the wheel being that much narrower than the tire.

Any other pics of that bumper? I'm a fan of simple designs!

If you were local to me I have an extra ~60% worn 37 sitting in the garage that I can’t even give away. You could try posting up in some of the SoCal community sub forms to see if anyone has something.

I would simply find a cheap used 35" tire or another common size that's already mounted on a rim and run it as a spare.

If it's just got to get you off a trail, or limp you home, or get you to work on Monday morning, mismatched spare doesn't bother me.

Mount it on the rear axle if you need to use it.

If you're worried about the diff coping with it on road, drop the rear driveshaft and lock the CDL and limp home with it in front wheel drive only.

Most modern cars come with space saver spare that is a few inches smaller diameter and narrower than the road tires. If it's good enough for OEM applications, it's good enough for me

I've always run 8"-9" wide wheels with 12.50 tires. They hold the bead better than a wider wheel and also provide a little more protection for the lip of the wheel being that much narrower than the tire.
So I guess I could just find a 17" 6 lug 4x4 chevy wheel to mount a spare on? A steel wheel would be ok with me- time to call some junk yards.

I would simply find a cheap used 35" tire or another common size that's already mounted on a rim and run it as a spare.

If it's just got to get you off a trail, or limp you home, or get you to work on Monday morning, mismatched spare doesn't bother me.

Mount it on the rear axle if you need to use it.

If you're worried about the diff coping with it on road, drop the rear driveshaft and lock the CDL and limp home with it in front wheel drive only.

Most modern cars come with space saver spare that is a few inches smaller diameter and narrower than the road tires. If it's good enough for OEM applications, it's good enough for me
I suppose that would work- I have the full time 4 wheel delete in the center diff and locking hubs up front so they'd freewheel if I needed it on front.

You have to be careful with the chevy wheels. Some of them have smaller hub openings and wont fit over Toyota hubs. I believe 80's need a 106.1mm hub opening in the wheel. You'll also want to make sure the backspacing is the same or close enough not to make a difference. You'd almost be better off either finding a spare 80 wheel in the classifieds or buy an aftermarket steel wheel on ebay or somewhere similar.

Thanks for the bumper pics by the way!

You have to be careful with the chevy wheels. Some of them have smaller hub openings and wont fit over Toyota hubs. I believe 80's need a 106.1mm hub opening in the wheel. You'll also want to make sure the backspacing is the same or close enough not to make a difference. You'd almost be better off either finding a spare 80 wheel in the classifieds or buy an aftermarket steel wheel on ebay or somewhere similar.
I believe that's about 4 1/4" for the center hole. You're right- ebay might be a good resource.

Thanks

I believe that's about 4 1/4" for the center hole. You're right- ebay might be a good resource.

Thanks
Have you looked in the Classifieds above?

Have you called tire shops to let them know you’d be interested in buying a used one? I’ve sold my old tires back to Discount Tire lots of times for store credit.

So I guess I could just find a 17" 6 lug 4x4 chevy wheel to mount a spare on? A steel wheel would be ok with me- time to call some junk yards.
Most chevy wheels have a smaller center bore than toyota. Measure to make sure it will fit over your hubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom