Source for trailer / led / overhead lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone recommend a good source for an overhead light? We need to install an overhead light under our roof top tent which is mounted on a 1/4-ton trailer, and I need one for the inside of the hard top on our FJ40.

1) I'd like to find one with an on/off switch that I can wire directly to the batteries.
2) It would help if it were fairly flush mount.
3) The light can be up to 6-7" in length.

These will go under the bottom of the tent above the trailer as you can see in the pictures.

If you have any recommendations for battery-powered lights, please post them too. There are some "RV" stores out there, but I'm just not sure where to look for good quality. Thanks!
IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0275.jpg

Best net is the Whelen equipment site, the lamp is awesome..about 3 in in diameter WWW. Whelen.com/ Lightheads, there is an ample supply to chose from.

Thanks for the sources. For the FJ40, we're going to "keep it Toyota" by trying to find a flush mounted interior light out of a later model Land Cruiser.

Does anyone know what particular lights would work well? I think that there should be some choices from the FJ60/62 or 70 and 80 series.

Thanks! :)

Nice...great resources! Gonna have to get something for our trailer too!

-Daniel

I really like the 4" AT flush mount LED light. A plus is that it's both white and red so your night vision isn't affected.
image.jpg

Might I recommend LED strip lighting? Comes in lenths (if you hunt around on ebay, you can find a 15 meter roll for under $50). You can cut them to length and they have 3m tape on the back. I mounted some on the bars in my RTT and then wired them to a small plastic junction box that is in the tent. Inside I have the 3 strips wired to two rocker switches so that I can have night lights and bright lights. I ran the wire out the floor of the tent and put a waterproof plug on it. I just plug it into my battery and it is totally removable if I take the tent off the trailer. These strips are about 1/4 inch thick and flexible enought o follow the contours of whatever you mount them on. On the bars in my trailer, I also added some zip ties to make sure they sat in place. They have not moved in 2 years. I will try and dig up some pictures and post them.

I couldn't find the shots from how I mounted them in the tent, but I did find shot of the strips I mounted to the frame I built to support my RTT. It does a good job of illustrating what I mean. I actually ran the wiring inside the frame work and tucked a rocker switch right into the frame near the back (direct wired to the battery souce so I can flip those lights on to see inside the bed area any time).
CPP iphone 120711 017.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom