1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Source for New Windshield Glass?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by LowellBlvd, Feb 25, 2004.

1. LowellBlvd

LowellBlvd

My son needs a new windshield for his '75 FJ40.
    We are in Denver CO
    Anyone know of a source?
    Thanks

2. osteology

osteology

It's cheap form the dealership - I just got factory glass with my discount in Dallas for about 60 bucks. You might save a couple of bucks tracking down a glass shop to cut it for you but at this price, just get factory glass.

For the install tips - go to the tech section and the write up by Butch Baker

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I have had a tinted piece cut from a glass company, and had them use there own weatherstrip, and it was about 150.00.

If you can get a dealership to sell you a windshield for that, get after it!

I am not a glass man, and have no problem paying a glass pro to install my glass so that it does not leak, or if there is a problem, ie it breaks when it is going in, I will get a new piece...

But that is just me, others have had great sucess with glass installs

Good luck!

-Steve

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Any local glass shop can cut a piece with yours as a template...somewheres in the $40-60 range. Toyota prices aren't too bad either, if you can factor in some discount. PM cruiserdan on the forum, he's a Toyota counter-clown and does some nice forum pricing.

I opted for polycarb for mine...light weight, nearly unbreakable, but not nearly as cheap as normal glass and not DOT approved. For a trail-only ride, it rocks.

5. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Yea, I called a glass installer and they quoted me $210. What a rip off.

6. theo

theo

I'm with Poser. My dad was a glass man, but he's gone. I've tried a couple of times in the wrecking yards and failed miserably.

Had my FJ40 glass replaced a couple months ago by a local shop - $80 for the glass (steep), $30 for a new seal (the old one was stiff), $20 labor (tried to charge $40 but I talked him down because I handed him a bare windshield frame and he didn't have to move the vehicle in and out of the shop, remove the old glass, clean the frame, etc.)

7. 72cruiser

72cruiser

wow,

i guess i'm spoiled down here in sc. with insurance, glass repair is free.

someone shot my windshield with a pellet gun (i guess) here at school, and i took it to a place in pineville when i was back at home. two hours later i couldn't believe that a windshield could be that clear. ha ha.

i would definitely try a glass shop though, the quality of glass should be better, esp. if the dealership is pullin old oem or nos stuff.

malphrus

8. wheelie

wheelie

glass shop for sure

9. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I live in Englewood and called SWIS Tires. They have someone the subcontract to who came to my house and did it for $100. Called the one on South Quebec. I think it was Safelite. I called around and going through SWIS was the best price.

Ken

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">