Solved: Rear differential issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was getting a squeaking and slight binding sensation in the drivetrain. Parked it immediately and got it into the shop today. I was told only one wheel spins but he wasn't able to replicate the squeaking or popping.

Was hoping it was just a u joint..

Last edited:
The drivetrain guy said with 260k ish miles he thinks the clutches might be worn and sticking and didn't open it completely but didn't see any real bad damage. Said to try a friction modifier to find out. To tear it down to look further is extensive. I found a used axle in a junkyard for 600ish but probably has similar mileage and wear

Just posting for advice or experience with similar issues

Last edited:
The drivetrain guy said with 260k ish miles he thinks the clutches might be worn and sticking and didn't open it completely but didn't see any real bad damage. Said to try a friction modifier to find out. To tear it down to look further is extensive. I found a used axle in a junkyard for 600ish but probably has similar mileage and wear

Just posting for advice or experience with similar issues
What’s the vehicle year? To my knowledge which is surely limited, the FJ80 and FZJ80s never came with limited slip differentials. Either it’s an open carrier or electric locker.

Assuming you're driving a US spec FZJ80 you should find another mechanic. There are no clutches in either an open differential (K292 axle code) or locked diff (K294).

There was a 80 series model that came with limited slip diffs (K293 axle code), but those were not imported into the USA.

One cause of binding in the drivetrain (like the brakes are dragging??) is a frozen viscous coupler in the transfer case. Of course you could just have a dragging/stuck brake caliper. Or U-joint going bad, or ----

Tell us more about the symptoms your 80 has been having:

Under what circumstances does this happen?
All the time, intermittent, only when hot, cold,---?
Does the vehicle pull to one side or the other. when braking or not??
Any recent work on the brakes, front axle service??
All tires the same tread/size? Ever run different size tires on
any wheel or axle??

Last edited:
Brakes were done last year and are great. No other changes or major repairs of the sort. I DID paint the wheels on the truck so may have got some paint on a caliper or rotor.

Started out as only a squeak. A little faster squeak than brake pads. Then one day I got a big click about once every wheel turn at slow speeds. I immediately pulled over and in neutral, there was some play at the rear end of the shaft going into the diff. Had hoped it was that last u joint. Thought possibly a pinion bearing.

Next day I couldn't replicate the play at the yoke. Only rotational. Enough rotation that I couldn't loosen the driveshaft bolts because it would turn too far.

At times going down the road it felt like something is binding in the drivetrain, causing some drag.

Today pulling into the shop it was squeaking and at the sharp turn into the parking spot, I heard and felt a clunk

The guy who looked at it said he felt it, but then couldn't replicate it afterward.

He didn't go very deep into it. He said the fluid looked fine and no obvious metal suspended in it. So he had guessed on the issue without looking further and told me to try it. He didn't charge me anything to look at it. He's smart and knows his stuff with domestics. Probably just not familiar with these as I never see any 80s around here

If it’s only happening when turning it might very well be a locked viscous coupler, I had the same issue only it caused the front to clunk. Checked the wheel bearings lately?

Sorry it's not just when turning. Also when going in a straight line

It switches between a slight squeak, a loud click, and a vibration that feels like a tire going flat

Check your brakes (pads, calipers).

Check that your brake pedal return spring is in place (long shot, but if that drops out, IME, your brake pedal can be pulled down by the booster as if you're pressing on the pedal/brakes). While driving if that happens you can get a significant vibration that may feel like a flat tire, IME.

Last edited:
It switches between a slight squeak, a loud click, and a vibration that feels like a tire going flat
I am thinking u-joints. The times you couldn't wiggle them, did you have the drive line unloaded? I neutral, parking brake set?

Grease the u-joints and slip yokes then see if it changes the noise or vibration.

IMG_20221014_144540591.jpg

Pretty sure my ebrake shoes aren't supposed to be crumbled apart. No wobble in the wheel bearings and the hub spins really smoothe. May replace or repack them anyway. Thanks all

Last edited:
Missed this when it was originally posted, had the rear axle had been dunked in mud/water at some point in it's life??

Were you able to ( @Killdozer1776 ) replace the emergency brake components and rotors, service the hub bearings/seals, etc, etc? Got photos?

Missed this when it was originally posted, had the rear axle had been dunked in mud/water at some point in it's life??

Were you able to ( @Killdozer1776 ) replace the emergency brake components and rotors, service the hub bearings/seals, etc, etc? Got photos?
It was an ebrake pad that crumbled apart from age and got stuck in the rotor

Saw that, was just wondering how it got fixed (replaced everything, just the ebrake shoes?)?

Saw that, was just wondering how it got fixed (replaced everything, just the ebrake shoes?)?
I've done the entire brake system from master cyl back already. All other pads are almost 100% so I just pulled the e brake shoes until I get time to look at the ebrake cable etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom