Solo, no-low, independent, Daniel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
Sorry if this has been posted in one of the numerous chat threads, but to me it's humbling enough to warrant a post....

Solo driver/vehicle.
No low range.
All indepedent suspension, 8" of clearance.
No full-size spare.
Big honkin' SUV.

Brand new Kia Telluride does Daniel: The Kia Telluride Has Some Serious Off-Road Chops

Now I feel like a wimp for doing Daniel in a 3X-locked 80.:barefoot::eek::beer::beer:

Funny, back of daniel.

And the Telluride commercial with all the donuts kills me. That is so 1980's, let's so donuts in a grassy field. Sends all the Tread Lightly stuff back 20 years.

And it is a Kia.

Good report. Real tires and he should be good to go, any actual recovery points on that thing?

You should see the Honda Passport on similar trails. I can attest that some of these new new things do have great engineering built into them. And some of them are working to achieve better performance off road. Now, they will leave parts on the trail and get damage, and cost a lot of dough.

Pretty cool article and good on kia for taking it to the toughest track in NC (that's still true right)

Electronic gizmos can get you pretty far these days. I remember in the early 2000's when the land rovers went to Moab and people were amazed at what they could do without lockers.

They all work up until a point and then to get past that point it is a huge amount of cash to change it all around.

I road in that KIA a few months back (no driving time) seemed like a solid ride with some good tech in it.

What's the yota equivalent?? a highlander?? would like to see a comparo.

How did they find a dry day out there?

I do see they took the bypass on that one climb. I like the look of this SUV but the reviews seem to leave the reviewers wanting a v8 engine as an option.

It looks to me like Kia is positioning this with 7-8 passengers at $32K+ vs the Jeep Grand Cherokee at $38K+ - they look a lot alike. Also looks of a Range Rover.

For Toyota that would be either/both the Highlander or 4Runner.

Highlander starts at $32K, as well.

4Runner starts at $35. Not sure if it still has the third row option.

Would be fun to see a TRD Pro 4Runner do Daniel the tough way :) I assume it could - not sure. Maybe loose a front and rear bumper?

They can do well. They do a lot better when they lower the tire pressure and understand the whole concept of footprint lengthening. Electronic gizmos will overheat (most are ABS driven) and then you are stuck until they cool down.
The problem with airing down is mostly corporate, the lawyers are concerned owner will not remember to air down and then do a Ford Exploder thing.

The challenge is how many times would you really take these soft roaders off road. Not many before everything starts giving up.

bg297997.png

The challenge is how many times would you really take these soft roaders off road. Not many before everything starts giving up.
True, I think it's all marketing. My wife has never, nor has any inclination, of driving her LR4 off road. Extremely capable (I have taken it off road), but she won't. Most SUVs owners will be the same, but they can now have the swag to say"their vee-hee-cle" is just a good as yours.

True, I think it's all marketing. My wife has never, nor has any inclination, of driving her LR4 off road. Extremely capable (I have taken it off road), but she won't. Most SUVs owners will be the same, but they can now have the swag to say"their vee-hee-cle" is just a good as yours.
@Izzyandsue when you get my age you just laugh as people attempt to explain their vehicle's prowess... I am always like you can come with me to uwharrie anytime you like. You can lead the way. Some reason the guys in Raleigh in the $70k+ 3/4 ton pick ups and SUVs that never tow, haul anything in bed, get dirty or engage 4wd take me up on my offer. I am not sure why?

All you need is speed, momentum, and a press vehicle. It's easy to make it through things when it's not your car. Who cares if it breaks.
Yep - and you never see it again.

Yeah, didn't see any pics of either the first or second ledge of Daniel. Just the summit and parts of the playground area on the back end. Maybe they should rate both sides so people can't "claim" they've done Daniel... Granted, the back end of Daniel is also not what it used to be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom