Solid axle truck power steering (79-85) what's the difference between a 4wd ps box and a 2wd one? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
Title pretty much says it all

Solid axle truck power steering (79-85) what's the difference between a 4wd ps box and a 2wd one?

What about the 1 ton 2wd box?

Just had a 4wd box slip though my fingers at a great price, so now I'm curious.

Thanks,

2wd box is more like a smaller, weaker IFS box. 4wd box looks very similar to a FJ40 standard steering box.

1566761515484.png

1566761554346.png

That explains alot, i thought maybe thos were wrong picks... Thanks!

Rockauto had a 4wd reman (ac delco) for 300 today , and while i was dithering somoene bought it out form under me... sigh ...

Don't beat yourself up too much, now you can go with crossover steering. Better steering feel, less parts, less to break, less pivot/connection points, steering links are above the springs, etc. Oh and you can throw that silly j-arm thing in the trash where it belongs!

Is there a how to, or a good build thread on the crossover swap? I don't fully grok the process

Possibly one of the most talked-about modifications you can do to your mini truck. Unless your truck is lifted or you're planning to lift it, you'll likely have problems though. You need room under the oil pan to clear the tie rods. I have a 4" lift on my 4Runner.

My steering was getting worn out and wonky and I'd been contemplating the swap anyway so really didn't want to fix an already not great factory setup. I had a used IFS box I'd bought several years earlier, so I had it rebuilt ($350). Bought the kit, had it installed by a local shop here in Phx area that builds King of The Hammers off-road race cars, Campbell Enterprises. They weren't cheap, but they did a great job. There's welding involved and it should be done right! My kit came from All-Pro Offroad before they were bought by Trail Gear. Again, you need to have sufficient room for the tie-rods, the original box will get cut off the frame and new mounts and sleeves welded on/through the frame. Good Luck!

Is there a how to, or a good build thread on the crossover swap? I don't fully grok the process

First - search!
Second - if you have limited skills or are inexperienced as a welder, have it done by a competent shop. This is not something just anyone can do. It is a life, yours and others, safety dependent modification.

Yes I agree completely. Not something to cobble together. I paid quite a bit to have my hysteer installed and it was worth it. Good Luck!

There's welding involved and it should be done right!

Second - if you have limited skills or are inexperienced as a welder, have it done by a competent shop. This is not something just anyone can do. It is a life, yours and others, safety dependent modification.

I have a rule. I won't weld on anything somebody's life depends on. My first hi-steer was done at All-Pro (not a good experience, btw). The second install I did, but I had a buddy do the welding.

YEAH, I have a rule, not my welding for steering or brakes, if my wife and kids are going to be there. :D

Are you looking for the box for your FJ40 to add power steering? I would continue to look for the push pull box unless you're building a rockcrawler. Besides clearance issues, the typical crossover steering doesn't account for the ackerman angle(causes tire scrub), forces you to lose your anti-sway bar and takes more revolutions of the steering wheel to turn. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Last edited:
The best place to find the steering box you're looking for would be to create a request here Parts Wanted as most of the people on here are building rock crawlers and removing the stock box.

Last edited:
Toyota minis and FJ40s with solid axles do not use the Ackerman Principal. Mostly applies to IFS and 2wd type steering systems.

Toyota minis and FJ40s with solid axles do not use the Ackerman Principal. Mostly applies to IFS and 2wd type steering systems.
I have never heard that claim before. There is an obvious angle to the OEM arms towards the dust shield compared to the average hi-steer arm.

ackerman.jpeg

steering-straight-all-pro-steering-arms.jpg
toyota steering arm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom