Soft Shackles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. :flipoff2:
IMG_20190511_113302.jpg

Feeling cute, think I’ll go to the mall and crawl over some speed bumps.View attachment 1973801
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. :flipoff2:
View attachment 1974917

Won't be an official mall crawl without a Jeep, so I'll tag along, if y'all don't mind:

20161006_160339.jpg

Might just slap the portable 8274 on the rear for more Mall Points:

20180610_154312.jpg

And I can't forget the pioneering kit, because it can get hairy at some of the urban malls:

20170304_124503.jpg

You can tag along because you have an 8274...the King of Winches ;) ;)
Also, the 8274 (IMHO), is the only winch that looks period correct on a CJ5/6/7/8 or FJ40. They are so simple (like those vehicles), and they get the most Mall Points....

The direction this thread took, makes me want to crawl my local Wal*Mart and rub elbows with my fellow 'deplorables'....

Leave your shackles mounted if you want. Or don't. Who cares. Most of mine are inside so they don't corrode. Soft shackles look cool but I don't have any. Doubt I will ever need one. Rated D shackles will last until the end of time so I would not sweat this.

What bugs me, is seeing newish Jeeps with unrated Tractor Supply shackles mounted along with their rusting high lift. There's one in the parking lot at work. Cracks me up. And they have a rusting gas can too.

For full disclosure, my FJ62 has a shackle (only 1) mounted out back in a hitch mount that's been there for 5+ years. Only used once! But I used it to pull a guy out of a tree well at work in the parking lot. God knows how he got into that predicament!

But my serious rigging gear does live inside, just so I don't need to worry about it. I paint shackles the color of the truck they go with, so I can get them back when lent out to others.

CE43CF94-3907-46D8-922F-16467501980B.jpeg

I obviously don't really hang my shackles...
As far as the winch line goes, i haven't had any issues. Ive used the rope pretty hard without issue. Only problem ive had with the rope was one break when it wasn't rigged into a snatch block properly. Rope is 11yo at this point.

Last edited:
I keep my shackles inside (soft/hard + tree saver) inside a bag and tucked away.. better keep your investments safe rather than leaving it out for people to steal or damage. Other than that the outside only has the factor55 flatlink.

IMG_20190624_075042.jpg

I have been loving hauling around a bag with soft shackles and lines compared with the metal setup (chains, shackles, etc) I ran years ago. So much easier to move around, smaller, and less noise while driving.

Also made this setup:
IMG_7848.jpg

Leave your shackles mounted if you want. Or don't. Who cares. Most of mine are inside so they don't corrode. Soft shackles look cool but I don't have any. Doubt I will ever need one. Rated D shackles will last until the end of time so I would not sweat this.

What bugs me, is seeing newish Jeeps with unrated Tractor Supply shackles mounted along with their rusting high lift. There's one in the parking lot at work. Cracks me up. And they have a rusting gas can too.

For full disclosure, my FJ62 has a shackle (only 1) mounted out back in a hitch mount that's been there for 5+ years. Only used once! But I used it to pull a guy out of a tree well at work in the parking lot. God knows how he got into that predicament!

But my serious rigging gear does live inside, just so I don't need to worry about it. I paint shackles the color of the truck they go with, so I can get them back when lent out to others.

View attachment 2003252

I like your taste!

P1090753.JPG
P1090754.JPG

I've always used the old heavy metal ones until last winter. A wheeling buddy got stuck and had soft shackles and a Bubba rope. I didn't even know how to use the soft shackles at first, but I was an instant convert. So much lighter, so much more versatile. And the Bubba rope took a hell of a running start.

My gear bag is so much lighter and better equipt now. ;)

Tied a few more soft shackles and set the button knot with my winch...and then load tested with a couple thousand lbs....

017.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

I’m still making softies…just made 3 from 7/16” and one from 1/2” dyneema Amstel blue..1/2” gets tough to tie and set button knot but super strong.
7A51E7AD-DC94-413A-9196-EFF8AEA9DC1C.jpeg
E5ABE353-5682-4176-B3B5-C1FD2422EE8A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom