So you want to do water crossings you have to... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So in order to do water crossing like this:

YouTube - ‪Safari Snorkel‬‏

What exactly do you have to do to your cruiser so that everything will work after the crossing? I realize that the youtube example is a little extreme and I am not talking about being experienced in water crossings and knowing your surroundings. I just want to know what you need to do to your cruiser to get it ready for something like this.

It just seems like there have been a lot of threads out there lately about people talking about water crossings and gettting stuck etc. I just thought I would see exactly what it would take to make your cruiser ready for something extreme?

Change to a diesel if you want to do crossings like that. The ARB video is of a non-US-spec diesel rig, thus no issues with it crapping out due to water in the electrics.

:cheers:

Steve

That was not a water crossing. it was a stunt for a sales video. Or... if it is actually an incident that they just happened to get a video of... they were fools to do it.

They could have submerged the snorkel as easily as not in that shot. The rig was simply being pushed downstream to shallower water while it floated. no control involved at all.

Doing that on purpose in the field in uncontrolled circumstances would be purely silly. At best.

Doing it "not in the field" under controlled circumstances would be a case of WHY???

To answer your question though... extended vents on all drivetrain part... plan on replacing fluids more often than not anyway... liberal use of silicon grease in all electrical connections. Sealed and vented distributor. Snug fitting spark plug wires and liberal use of silicon grease... or mixed silicon grease and silicon sealant. All electronic units under the hood and in the cab. sealed with silicon sealant at all seams... and heavy silicon grease at all connections.

Snug fitting caps on PS reservoirs and an expectation of changing fluid anyway.

Snug fitting diptstick on your auto tranny and an expectation of changing fluid anyway.
A willngness to sacrifice stereos and speakers and instrument clusters.

An understanding the heater blowers and such will suffer in the long term of not the short.

And then you hope that the rig does not sink... that the current does not roll it... and that luck of the draw does not overwhelm any of the myriad weak points in the water proofing. And that you are up to the maintenance that this sort of stuff involves.

There really is no reason to WANT to do a stunt like this. If you want to submerge your Cruiser to prove that you can... do it in water that it not moving.

Mark...

Why did they not just cross in the shallow part that they floated down to???

They are running the video backwards, :rolleyes:

I saw that comment too. But the current in the vid says otherwise. Even if they were, it does not change anything.

Mark...

I think Jrob was thinking something a little less challenging and wanted advice for that:rolleyes:?

All I can say is practice makes less than perfect, but it helps. Getting a feel for the right momentum calibrated to the water depth, sideways motion, streambed traction, and length of crossing means calculating several parameters at a time and applying them on the fly. Getting the bow wave right is the key thing.

That and some decent prep work. The 80 is pretty well set up from the factory, but can be easily improved.

But you want to avoid doing anything stupid...and stupid should be obvious:idea:
If it's not, then practice some more:doh:

I knew that video was on the extreme side (I love to watch it though).

I was just wanting some advice on getting your vehicle ready/prep'd if you wanted to do water crossings. Mark answered my questions on what you would have to do, thanks. Here in good ol central Nebraska we really don't have a whole lot to work with to go out wheeling, unless you like mud running, which is okay but gets old. We do have the mighty Platte River out here though :hillbilly:. It has a very sandy bottom.

SNIP
Here in good ol central Nebraska we really don't have a whole lot to work with to go out wheeling, unless you like mud running, which is okay but gets old. We do have the mighty Platte River out here though :hillbilly:. It has a very sandy bottom.

Beware the sandy bottom!

If you stop, then the current will scour the sand out around your tires and you just keep sinking...:whoops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom