So... We Bought a Bronco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My husband and I had one of the first Broncos in our area. It is my husband's daily driver. The process was exhausting, but once we finally had it, we were hopeful that all misery would be behind us. If you're anyone who even remotely follows car and truck news, you'll understand what brought my husband to go check out a 2022 4Runner this week. Needless to say, it was a supreme disappointment to him when compared with our '06 GX470. The doors sounded hollow when closing. The handles felt cheap. The dashboard and interior uninspiring. The road noise unbearable. Underwhelming power. Etc etc.

As the GX is my daily driver, I silently gloated. After all its years, my Lexi continues to be the bar by which we measure other vehicles. Unfortunately it led me to wonder if anything else will ever match up - and if not - what model years since mine are the best, most trouble free versions of what we have come to rely on and expect? It seems clear we will likely get another used GX.

Does anyone have an idea if there is a sweet spot of model years in the GX line that has enough creature comforts (heated seats and the like) while not being overrun with complicated computer controlled systems?

All of the GXs dating back to 2003 have lots of electronic gadgets but all of them are highly reliable. There really aren't any bad years at all. If you can afford it, I'd pick up a 2022-2023 GX460 with the upgraded infotainment system and center stack (that includes Android Auto/Car Play). I really don't think the 22/23 GX is much more complicated electronically than your 2006. They use a lot of the same parts. You'll be able to drive the newer one for another 20 years and parts should continue to be widely available in the future if there ever is an issue.

Otherwise, it's not hard to find a nice ~2013-2017 in the $30-35K range, though you have a infotainment system that feels very 2009. But, IMO, this is the sweet spot in bang-for-your-buck - lots of rig for the money.

Lastly, used LX570s can be a pretty good deal as well, if you want an even bigger/more luxurious rig.

I'm confused, so you bought a bronco, as in ford bronco, test drove a 4Runner, and now you're settled on going with another used GX? :confused:
Pretty much!

As @Rednexus said pretty much any GX from 2003 to 2023 is going to suit you well. I will say the GX470 is highly insulated and is super quiet and relaxing to drive and for the money it's a hell of a good vehicle. We loved ours and regret selling it. Currently I have a 2010 Lexus GX460 with 182k miles that still rides and drives like new. You cannot go wrong with any GX so as long as you verify the service history, rust level if any, and current mechanical condition.

All of the GXs dating back to 2003 have lots of electronic gadgets but all of them are highly reliable. There really aren't any bad years at all. If you can afford it, I'd pick up a 2022-2023 GX460 with the upgraded infotainment system and center stack (that includes Android Auto/Car Play). I really don't think the 22/23 GX is much more complicated electronically than your 2006. They use a lot of the same parts. You'll be able to drive the newer one for another 20 years and parts should continue to be widely available in the future if there ever is an issue.

Otherwise, it's not hard to find a nice ~2013-2017 in the $30-35K range, though you have a infotainment system that feels very 2009. But, IMO, this is the sweet spot in bang-for-your-buck - lots of rig for the money.

Lastly, used LX570s can be a pretty good deal as well, if you want an even bigger/more luxurious rig.
This is exactly the info we were looking for. Thank you.

None of them! LOL. But do you really care? They're all great, no doubt.
When I say overly complicated computer systems, it is due to our disappointment at how reliant the Bronco is on software - for just about everything. Things such as the "electronic nanny" taking the truck out of four wheel drive on the trail because of an overly sensitive sensor, or the air conditioning turning itself off when you're not accelerating hard and then staying off for hours, or the headlights not working because it auto-senses for highbeam and so on with other similar infuriating computer-driven issues. As well, components have different software programs that don't work together because they were not developed by Ford but by a variety of other manufacturers, all with their own updates, etc. You really shouldn't have to flash a simple windshield wiper motor, in our opinion. We got the most basic version to try and avoid some of this, but no one has been spared the frustration. The advertising was great, but underneath it all, it's really just a delicate flower.

We just like things we can tinker with and do ourselves, hence our question. :)

When I say overly complicated computer systems, it is due to our disappointment at how reliant the Bronco is on software - for just about everything. Things such as the "electronic nanny" taking the truck out of four wheel drive on the trail because of an overly sensitive sensor, or the air conditioning turning itself off when you're not accelerating hard and then staying off for hours, or the headlights not working because it auto-senses for highbeam and so on with other similar infuriating computer-driven issues. As well, components have different software programs that don't work together because they were not developed by Ford but by a variety of other manufacturers, all with their own updates, etc. You really shouldn't have to flash a simple windshield wiper motor, in our opinion. We got the most basic version to try and avoid some of this, but no one has been spared the frustration. The advertising was great, but underneath it all, it's really just a delicate flower.

Thanks for your explanation. We just bought a 2024 Crosstrek and so far have not encountered such issues. I didn't like the lane departure alarm on it, so turned it off.

There are exactly zero of these problems with a GX.

Thanks for your explanation. We just bought a 2024 Crosstrek and so far have not encountered such issues. I didn't like the lane departure alarm on it, so turned it off.
Maybe we'll add Subaru to our list of contenders. Thanks!

You'll be disappointed in reliability and fit-and-finish going from a Toyota/Lexus to a Subaru. And I saw this as someone who owned and wrenched on multiple Subarus for well over a decade and still does like/appreciate them. Now we own Toyotas. The nanny systems on Toyotas are easy to turn off and they build quality/materials on a Toyota are much better.

Maybe we'll add Subaru to our list of contenders. Thanks!
The 2.0 Crosstrek might be a bit sluggish for Texas roads. I got a Sport edition with the bigger 2.5 engine. It's delivering 32 MPG, basically equal to the smaller engine.

Its been a really amazing truck and it's the only car/truck I've ever owned that I can without a doubt tell you I'll never sell.
I feel the same way about my GX460. I don't care if the federales ban the ICE vehicle I'll still drive my GX anyway. I love my GX.

I just wish i could get a more powerful engine in the gx then it would be perfect, the v8 isnt bad but often when I'm cruising up a hill i wouldn't mind some more oomph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom