So let’s say a winch isn’t in my budget right now... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What manual come-along would you recommend for someone just starting out on his build? I live 5 minutes from Harbor Freight and 15 minutes from a Northern Tool store if they carry something you think might be worth buying, and I’d save on shipping.

Look up some videos on using a high lift jack as a come along. I think the are better and has more uses. Available at mentioned stores.

I’ve seen warn m8000 on Craigslist for $300. Now you have to have a bumper but don’t feel like you have to spend $2-3k to get set up

What are you driving?

I’ve seen warn m8000 on Craigslist for $300. Now you have to have a bumper but don’t feel like you have to spend $2-3k to get set up

Guess I need to pay attention more to my local Craigslist ads

What are you driving? A hidden winch using the harbor freight universal winch plate takes a little fab but is cheap and then you don’t need a whole bumper. A hi lift works too or as heavy of a come along as you can find. Maybe 5/16” cable if you can find it.

Just looked and a Warn 8000 for $450 but I’ve seen them cheaper.

I recently bought my son’s 1997 4Runner Limited. Still stock bumpers.

There HAS to be a bolt-on winch carrier to use the factory bump on a T4R - that or as @gnob said, receiver mount basket.

Used Warns are the ticket if new seems too steep.

Even a old crusty one can be rebuilt to work / look great, Warn supports their winches with parts/service.

Here you go this is a quality 5-ton hand operated come along winch: https://amzn.to/3bSV8pK

A hilift jack works too but they are so heavy and bulky. This little thing you can keep in a duffle bag or gear box.

Thanks! I added it to my wish list. Need to upgrade brakes (since they’re squealing and need done anyway), and add a transmission cooler first. But this is definitely on my list of must-have accessories, along with recovery traction plates to put under the tires.

Harbor freight winch on sale for $289

or used winch on Craigslist. I’ve bought Warns for <$100 and no names for $40.

If you’ve ever used a come along or hi lift to winch you’d probably go out and buy an electric winch the next day. That’s if you don’t die of a heart attack first while using them.

Harbor freight winch on sale for $289

or used winch on Craigslist. I’ve bought Warns for <$100 and no names for $40.

If you’ve ever used a come along or hi lift to winch you’d probably go out and buy an electric winch the next day. That’s if you don’t die of a heart attack first while using them.
I have literal hours and hours cranking on my come-along when I was in the 16-18 year old range. You are correct it is great motivation to get an electric winch but also to not get stuck in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom