So I searched and gpt nothing - WHAT ABOUT GOODYEAR WRANGLER SILENT ARMOR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
Still researching new tires and I hold the opinions on this site to heart. Looking for 285/75/16's for a stock 1993 Crusher. I was set on the Revo's until I saw the Silent Armor Wrangler's. Now I must research them - ANY OPINIONS/EXPERIENCE?? Thanks in advance - Scott

I had a set of Revo and I love them. I looked into the silentArmor when I was shopping for a set of tires for my 80 too. And I settled for a set of 4 Yokohama Geolander A/T Plus ll for $550 shipped from discount tire. And so far it out perform REVO at MOAB, I can get up to terrain without slipping as compare to my bro REVO on his LX. I would say this the YOKO os the best buy...cheap and good!! YOu might wanna give it a try. :)

I haven't seen a goodyear wrangler tire I liked except for the MT/R, but I am not familiar with the silent armor wrangler.

Silent Armor is a mild AT tire with a Kevlar belt in the tread. Cepek did the Kevlar belt in the Fun Country years ago....

They look like a good tire, I say try em'.

Tires were one Kevlar's intended uses when developed back in the 60's. The only reason I can figure it see's limited use is cost... but even that can't be too bad all these year later.

Imagine the weight savings, never mind the indestructable sidewall, that these tires would have.

The Kevlar in only under the tread area, not in the side wall plys.

I went by Big O tire just to look and they had 2 different tires one was a kelly and the other one was ther tire both looked good and had a good warrantee.But they were not cheap about 180 each.

At one time there were lots of tires with Aramid belts, don't see it much anymore? Kevlar is DuPont's trade name for Aramid, so you have to pay the DuPont $$$ for the privilege of calling your Aramid Kevlar. Is there a good belt of ballistic weave Kevlar or a cheaper more open weave that has little benefit for puncture resistance and a good marketing campaign? Have never been able to find any good testimony or data to show that they are significantly better than other tires.

I have been using Kumho's venture at and am very pleased with them esp considering the price -$115 per tire with shipping on tire rack. But I bought mine at discount tire with warranty for $125 a piece.

cruiser larry said:
I went by Big O tire just to look and they had 2 different tires one was a kelly and the other one was ther tire both looked good and had a good warrantee.But they were not cheap about 180 each.
You can get a good tire for close to that price, ie. MT/R, or BFG AT, or Revo...

FYI- I believe the MT/Rs I had were 9 ply plus 3 ply sidewall, most of the cheaper, and store brand (wild country, etc.) are 2-6 ply w/2 ply sidewall.

I just bought some silent armors over the BFG A/T's. I will let you know what I think. I liked their tread design and looks...I hope they do as well as they look at least!

I thought MTR are good for normal street driving and some light ( very light ) off road .. maube in rocks are great .. and for sure more quiet than most other MT models ..

Tapage said:
I thought MTR are good for normal street driving and some light ( very light ) off road .. maube in rocks are great .. and for sure more quiet than most other MT models ..

Did you just say that you thought MT/R's are for very light offroad? MT/R's are practically a standard for the hardcore crowd that daily drives in the West.

They aren't a hardcore mud tire, and weren't designed for that. But MT/R's and to a lesser degree trxus have virtually replaced BFG MT's in the West over the past few years.

Nay

For any of those interested in what the new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor looks like, I just put a set on my wife's LX470. So far, so good. And yes, we will be removing the factory steps on her LX in favor of sliders :)
gyt1.jpg
gyt2.jpg
gyt3.jpg

I have had mine for about 6,000 miles now. I love them and would buy them again in a heart beat. They have done great in very very snowy conditions in Big Bear. They are quiet and handle the road well (relatively speaking) They seem to have great wear...I can't even notice any tread wear. I have done some light wheelin, rock, dirt, sand (no mud) and they have been very good. Side walls seem very good. As my build up continues I think I will get truxs mt's since I want to step up the intensity a little. These will go back on my 93' and I imagine they will be on there a while.

Here is a pic from big bear. That was the only road we drove on that tire met pavement.
DSC02228.jpg

I ran Goodyear tires for several vehciles over the years. The best tire they make for 4X4's is the MT/R - three ply sidewalls, but a bit noisy and hard to keep balanced. I no longer buy their tires, since they have not lived up to my expectations over the last 6-8 years. Except for the MT/R, Goodyears seem to have thin sidewalls - an absolute no-no for me.

I now run Michelin Cross-Terrains on my Ford Expedition (road truck and tow vehicle), which are a good road tire, and Bridgestone Revos on the 80, which are a compromise AT tire. They are superb on the road - as good or better than the Michelins.

Nay said:
Did you just say that you thought MT/R's are for very light offroad? MT/R's are practically a standard for the hardcore crowd that daily drives in the West.

Hi Nay .. and I know ..

In my case off road means Mud .. a lots of .. MTR sucks in mud, MTR suck ( IMOP ) for off road to me ..

when I go off road .. I'm always with my chains ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom