So I just ordered a bunch of stuff from SOR.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
and I was wondering if any of you think it is a good idea to order everything from one place or shop around to save a buck or two here and there? thoughts, feelings, comments???

I ordered a lot of stuff, choke cable, various vac tubes and hoses, FSM(HELLS YEA!), fuel/air filter kit, spark plugs etc.....I am trying to get it running tip-top before I dive into the lift and bigger tires.

I have had GREAT luck with SOR. But I do shop around. When I ordered all my bearings and seals to rebuild my axles I tried SOR, CCOT, and a dealership. SOR came in the cheapest by doing everything in kits. It was worth it to shop around. But a few pieces I have found at CCOT much cheaper then SOR and purchased from them.

I use my local parts stores for some gaskets, bearings and seals cause I dont have to pay shipping on them....

that is pretty much what I did. I ordered everything from SOR except for a gasket set that I ordered from CCOT.

I guess it is one of many tough delimmas I will encounter as a FJ owner. do I spend 2 days tracking down parts and driving all over town or do I spend $10 on shipping to avoid the legwork?????

your gonne be in for a BIG suprise , when you see SOR's frt. charges.
i ordered a little vac fitting, about the size of my pinkie-tip. 30 bucks for the part, and FOURTY F****NG DOLLARS FOR UPS.and it was GROUND!!!!!
I let them know that i wasnt happy with the online ordering, where you have to complete your order, THEN they send you a confirmation with the high frt.
i avoid them at all cost. my local dealer is mostly less, and the major distribution center for the east coast it only 10 mmiles away, so i get everything the next day.
hammer

IMHO: Buy from Man-a-Fre or your local dealer (and/or CDan for that matter). Customer service is a better value than saving a few bucks.

Personally, I have had terrible luck with SOR and will never purchase from them again (and I think I may have been banned for arguing about shipping costs {BTW: OUTRAGEOUS}).

Don't know if I helped, but just my .02 cents! :beer:

I have never had shipping costs be outrageous with SOR. They are the same as MAF, CCOT and others, never could understand why everyone complains.

$40 shipping for a vac hose!!! was it filled with weed or something?

stinky: I hope I feel the same after I see the shipping cost. UPS from CA to CO sholdn't be that bad. how long until I know? will they send an email?

I think when they got their online ordering going it took a while to get the shipping right. I never use the online ordering for any of those place cause it tends to screw you on shipping (CCOT!) and then you have to call in and ask them to change it. I like to order on the phone so I can tell the guy he is crazy when his computer tells him $ 50 for shipping a few small parts.

But then again shipping is expensive due to the expensive cardboard and special shipping tape. YEAHHH :doh:

stinkyfj60 said:
I have never had shipping costs be outrageous with SOR. They are the same as MAF, CCOT and others, never could understand why everyone complains.

I agree--everything I've ordered has been shipped for reasonable costs--I wish they would calculate them when you place the order, but I've bought over $600 in parts and I don't think they've ever screwed me.

Haven't ordered as much from MAF, but I've got no complaints w/ them either.

i havent had outrageous freight charges from specter for years. it's been about average ($15ish). plus they have the stuff...the last three times i've tried ordering from manafre, they were out of stock. i shop around mostly and buy as much as possible from locals and freinds like cdan, kurt at cruiser outfitters, and ron at rocky mountain cruisers, but sometimes, you gotta go sor cause they got something weird no one else has.

I like SOR, but for the stuff you ordered, you could have saved a good deal of $$ by ordering from Cdan or a good dealer that gives a discount(20%+). SOR prices for new OEM parts are retail(and +, in some cases)

IMOP, SOR is great for stuff ya cant get anyplace else and good accesories. I never order OEM parts from any place but my local dealer.

vac hose, you can get OEM hose for 600mm $1.50.......if you know where to shop ;)

oh, I have always found SOR shiping charges fair, I call and order, ask what shiping is.

Landpimp said:
I like SOR, but for the stuff you ordered, you could have saved a good deal of $$ by ordering from Cdan or a good dealer that gives a discount(20%+). SOR prices for new OEM parts are retail(and +, in some cases)

;)
Sometimes, the last bunch of parts I ordered I checked with American Toyota with the discount and SOR was still cheaper by a good shot.

stinkyfj60 said:

Hmmmmm....I will use SOR again, but sparingly. I don't know, when you buy a membership, they send you your "free catalogue", toss in 2 small plastic plugs weighing less than a gram and charge you $17.00 for shipping...I'd kinda say that is outrageous. I work in the shipping business and despite the overhead the big companies have, I know damn well they are mostly all over the top and trying to profit from their shipping too much. You just have to be smart consolidate your purchase and reckon on what you are willing to live with or consider, how much you really need those parts.

I've used SOR in the past and the shipping was within reason. I do live in So. CA so maybe I got the local across the valley over the hill shipping discount.

just found out the damages.....$15 s&h for 11lbs/$380 in parts....

no bad if you ask me. I will remember to look around next time, just in case...

thanks for the input everyone! now, I just have to get everything installed so another round of questions is sure to follow.

Parts

I haven't had my 62 long and it is in incredible shape, but I deal a lot with James at cruiserparts.net He is a solid dude and always treats me fair. They use DHL shipping which I have had not one problem with. They have new and used parts and if they don't have it, they get it. For us East Coasters, shipping is much cheaper than having it shipped from the West Coast. I bought a 6 inch. brake fitting for my 40 and the shipping was stupid on that as well! Email James for all your cruiser needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom