So do I take the welding class or the auto body class? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
As some of you may know, I got the Millermatic 135 for Christmas, and I have no clue how to weld. The local adult school is offering spring classes. They have welding and auto body. My goal is to use the welding for the auto body. So what class should I take, welding or auto body?

Thanks,
Zack

zack there is plenty of body men out there.it is getting to the point that most body shops do not want to fix panels due to insurance,rust ,lazy and crap(overall)so your better off learning how to weld first.body work is so much more simple to learn

Why don't you take the welding class now, and take the auto body class later.

i'd take the welding class.
most auto body guyz are just parts replacers and don't do alot of welding.
like i said "most" not all.

you have to look hard for a "real" body man.

welders are in demand if you're certified.

welding, then body x2.

FYI the local cc here don't letcha work on own rig, liability issues. shot my plan of rehabbing subaru... bummo.

wedling class..

:flipoof2:

Hi everyone,
As some of you may know, I got the Millermatic 135 for Christmas, and I have no clue how to weld. The local adult school is offering spring classes. They have welding and auto body. My goal is to use the welding for the auto body. So what class should I take, welding or auto body?

Thanks,
Zack

IMO just get someone to show you the basics, and start practicing!

I hardly knew anything when I got my welder, just plugged it in, read a little bit, asked some friends how to get started and practiced.

MIG welding with gas is super easy.

Autobody class.

If the welding class is one of those I-car courses then take it their directly geared toward the autobody skills.

Best to talk to the course instructors, chances are the welding class is the intro course to stick welding (I am assuming here) which will be of minimal value IMO to your stated objective.

good welders can get top dollar...... learn to weld you will not regret it. could also give you the opportunity to work all over the world.

Last edited:
A good clear coat never got an immobile truck moving again. Welding seems much more useful and marketable to me. The skills will transfer out of auto work a lot better too.

In the beer commercials do you see any bodymen dancing with the hot chicks ? NO. Do you see welding sparks fly? YES.

welding class

I took a night welding class a couple years ago, and it was so much fun that I'm taking it again this semester. Best $180 I've ever spent. I bet I used that much in steel on the projects that I built. This semester, I plan on learning to weld thin metal and tubing, and doing a little more TIG. I also plan on making a rear bumper for my 80 in class.

Definitely go for the welding first...

Try to check out the welding class at local HS or community colleges before you plunk down your money.

I took one years ago at a HS, taught by the HS welding instructor.

He didn't give a rat's ass about the class and spent his time with his day students on their class projects while we were there. He was also way too worried about his budget and would SHOW us class info from the HS class but not let us touch it. Same with the welding equipment. We got a few stick welders in a row to take turns using, and about an hour each over the eight weeks trying out the class's new Miller 251. He said "you probably won't be using equipment like this on your own anyway" and got pissed off and wouldn't let me roll in my own Miller 210 that I bought the day after he said that - a******. He was lucky that you need a ground to strike an arc or I might have lit his ass up.

but I had paid and they didn't give refunds. I ended up not going for the last half of it.

Consensus--take the welding class. I am a self taught welder, and I made some nice welds today. My early welds on my "new" 40 are nothing to be that proud of. I would like to take a class now that I have nearly finished the welding on my spring over. I want to do a better job on spring over #2.

One thing I have learned is that you spend 2 hours with an angle grinder in your hands for every 5 minutes of welding.

If there was a class for "out of postiion welding" that would be the one to take for working on Land Cruisers.

If there was a class for "out of postiion welding" that would be the one to take for working on Land Cruisers.

Now that is the truth!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom