Events/Trails Snow Fun 12/28 or 12/29 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The desolate beauty of the snowy desert:
IMG_0766.JPG

Grant unloading:
IMG_0767.JPG

"Ma'am, I'm not sure your driver's license is Real ID compliant."
IMG_0769.JPG

Conferring (or is that "conifering"?)
IMG_0771.JPG

'Nuff said:
IMG_0772.JPG

Last edited:
15 degrees and dropping:
IMG_0773.JPG

Grant throwing up some snow spray:
IMG_0779.JPG

Matt testing recovery skills:
IMG_0788.JPG

After that, my Fat J slid off the trail and the ensuing recovery effort didn't afford much photo time. Fun when the snow is falling, the sun is setting and temperatures are dropping and you know you got to get out. Glad we didn't have to call the cops on a Donner party.

For those that are McKenzie Brothers fans, Ernie's mom didn't have to suck his toes.

Looks like you had lots of the white stuff to play in!

Thanks for sharing the stories and pics. Glad everyone made it out OK!

Hmmm. Two full line pulls. The melted side is the winch lead. @mbarela you might wanna check your battery connections!
@Chompers i guess I need to change up my charging system, two nearly catastrophic events on the same road!
12737939-984C-4E3F-B6F9-734301E683D8.jpeg

That's reVOLTing. It'd get me pretty AMPed up.

Grant, really appreciate the assist. Let me know if I can make it up some way.

Might be time for chains... and a winch bumper... and a winch... and a front locker... and...

@Dumpolina

Grant - does Gallina fall under the Santa Fe national forest? Do you recall seeing any gates like the ones that are now closed in the Jemez? Wonder if this place could be our snow play area for the winter?

@Dumpolina

Grant - does Gallina fall under the Santa Fe national forest? Do you recall seeing any gates like the ones that are now closed in the Jemez? Wonder if this place could be our snow play area for the winter?

Ali, yes SFNF Northwest portion
There are closures for elk calving but its not a large area, portions of roads 8, 11, 11G closed march to mid august. Thats really mud season, so no need to be in there for snow in march or april.
There are a few gates lower down but I've never encountered them closed in the winter.
Heres the MVUM - https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd611735.pdf

Its a bit of a hike over there, but again that's why I like it because there's usually not anyone around. This time we did encounter 3 vehicles and followed some fresh tracks. That's 3 times as many vehicles as I normally see. This is a big cat hunting area, and I believe there is no seasonal restriction on that, so the chance to come on cat hunters is always a possibility.
There is a really nice stretch along FS 8 that is the nicest area, and is easily accessible from Hwy 96 in Gallina so not as far north as I usually go (FS 7 off Hwy 112 about 2/3 of the way up to el vado). This gets higher quick so can be a bust, like @Chompers and I encountered the first time up there.
There are also other areas off FS5 and 7 further west that I have not explored, but that elevation is lower so snow may be less good... or more good later in the season.

There are some really nice meadows and elk camps that could accommodate a lot of vehicles in the summer. I'll bet the stars are pretty good though could get some light from Los Alamos. I have not been up in there in the summer, there's no real wheeling to be had but I imagine its very pretty up in the pines

Accessing the Jemez from Cuba is another option for less people and better snow. The times I've been up there in the snow there were way less yahoo's in pajamas burying their minivans. Does this area get gated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom