Snow Chains for Heritage Edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a good link to snow chains for a Heritage Edition that aren't too large? I don't plan on ever using them but sometimes the mountain passes in California require that the driver have them in their possession so I'd like to buy some just so I don't get stopped at a checkpoint without them. If it's ever bad enough for chains I usually stay off the road but sometimes that's not possible so I'd like to have a pair in case I'm stopped.

@doru put together a great series of posts showing some of the options and sparking some discussion.

I bought some of the cable style for exactly that reason. They were about half the weight of chains. Since a lot of people buy chains to have them but never use them, you can usually find a new or nearly new set on CL or OU for a good price.

These are the ones I bought. They get good reviews but I never actually used them so no firsthand experience.

SCC Super Z8

In my years 10 driving the mountain passes around Tahoe and Yosemite, you'll get waved through with an all-wheel drive vehicle, or they'll shut down the road. I've never experienced a situation where they actually checked for chains. This experience was echoed by some of the more, ahem, senior members of the Sierra Club Snow Camping Section who are actively seeking out the snowiest areas at the snowiest time.

If you know you're only getting them to get the wave-through, they might not be necessary. You might ping the CA clubhouses to see if anyone's ever actually had a chain check. But, they could also be useful to have on hand if unexpected circumstance arises AND you know how to use them.

More expensive than snow chains, but more valuable for someone who doesn't get an opportunity to drive on snow often: Home - https://winterdrive.com/

Last edited:
In my years 10 driving the mountain passes around Tahoe and Yosemite, you'll get waved through with an all-wheel drive vehicle, or they'll shut down the road. I've never experienced a situation where they actually checked for chains. This experience was echoed by some of the more, ahem, senior members of the Sierra Club Snow Camping Section who are actively seeking out the snowiest areas at the snowiest time.

If you know you're only getting them to get the wave-through, they might not be necessary. You might ping the CA clubhouses to see if anyone's ever actually had a chain check. But, they could also be useful to have on hand if unexpected circumstance arises AND you know how to use them.

More expensive than snow chains, but more valuable for someone who doesn't get an opportunity to drive on show often: Home - https://winterdrive.com/

This was my thought as well. I have M+S tires so I presume they either wave me through or the road is shut down.

More expensive than snow chains, but more valuable for someone who doesn't get an opportunity to drive on show often: Home - https://winterdrive.com/
That has been my experience going through Tahoe on numerous occasions. Similar experiences in WA.

This was my thought as well. I have M+S tires so I presume they either wave me through or the road is shut down.
I have been up through lake tahoe and west yellowstone when chain control was at R2 and they've always waved me by. i still carry chains if i know ill venture off into a trail of some sort.

I bought these for the front wheels even though toyota doesnt recommend using anything on the front with stock wheels due to the proximity of the chains to the upper arm. Amazon product ASIN B000HZFDSC
For the rear i bought these chains: https://www.etrailer.com/Tire_Chains/Titan_Chain/TC2533.html

Btw i run 275 70 18 tires with 18x9.5 0 offset wheels.

I have yet to use the chains on the road. I have dry fitted them in front of my house without any issues.

Here in Lake Arrowhead, we frequently get R1 and R2 conditions. At the control stops, I have only once, in 40 years, been requested to put the chains on, my wife in the 4Runner was required to put them on. It was a Sport Edition, full time 4 wheel drive with BFG KO2s. Both times, it was one of the very rare R3 conditions. Usually, the roads are closed before R3 conditions. I have had the CHP (mostly Caltrans workers) actually look to see if I had chains. I had one chippy actually ask: "Do they fit?" I have learned to keep them in plain view and have the fitment card with the chains for that reason.

I have the Security Chain Co. Super Z8 (Peerless).

71gFXXOrStL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I was told CHP “never” asks for chains on 4WD/AWD cars…at that point they just shut the road. That may or may not be true but I’ve never been asked to show chains in 25 years driving to Tahoe. All that being said, in the last rain storm we were unable safely navigate the road by our cabin after the rain washed away the snow leaving sheet ice on a relatively modest hill…so I just purchased the Z8 cables.

30+ years of Tahoe winter driving and was always waved through in a 4WD. As referenced, they just close the road if needed.

Not here in Arrowhead, they stop everybody. The chain control line can be backed up for a mile or two. A real pain.

As capable as the 200-series is, and even as I have flaunted rules at times, would be worth noting caveats.

Checkpoints may wave you by, and they may ask if you are carrying chains. This could become an issue if not carrying chains as required and getting stuck. CHP responding will ask for chains and will very likely ticket for non-compliance. That's not made up and I've heard stories through other forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom