Builds "Sneeze" - The 200 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With most everything mounted we were finally able to take to take it for an alignment and its first real drive. There is still plenty of work left to do. I am still fighting a fault with the driver side speed sensor, which I think may be a bad CV as suggested by others. I also need to get the spare hatch and tailgate in to paint and lots of other little bits that come with the process. At the least its back on the road and I can finally get a chance to go do some wheeling, instead of wrenching.

IMG_E4217.JPG
IMG_4224.JPG
IMG_E4207.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG

I got everything together and was ready to get the alignment done. The shops I trusted were 2 weeks out and against my own advice I trusted the neighborhood shop when they said that they could do it. As it turns out they could not do it. Fortunately, they said they couldn't get the tie rod lock nuts free, of which is a lie, because I personally broke them free prior. But not before they flattened all but 2 of the alignment tabs.

View attachment 3347219

Well they sure messed that up and got an absolute ear full when they opened up the next day. I knew what needed to be done, so I hammered the taps back with a punch and then welded reinforcement to all of the tabs. Given the circumstances I made quick work of the repair and got the LCA's bolted back up. I also scheduled the appointment to get it aligned at a trusted shop, which gave me time to start installing the wheels and tires.

Those monkeys!#% Such lack of common sense these days is the only way I can explain how they can botch things up so badly.

We don't see as much cam tab reinforcement on these boards like on lower end Yotas. I've been debating to add a weld bead to mine to better support the tab. Though most issues seem to be from performing an alignment rather than knocking the alignment out. Would be interested to see how your weld reinforcements turned out.

Rig is looking great!

Those monkeys!#% Such lack of common sense these days is the only way I can explain how they can botch things up so badly.

We don't see as much cam tab reinforcement on these boards like on lower end Yotas. I've been debating to add a weld bead to mine to better support the tab. Though most issues seem to be from performing an alignment rather than knocking the alignment out. Would be interested to see how your weld reinforcements turned out.

Rig is looking great!
I did not expect such a mess, that’s for sure. I had some 1/4” thick material and made some side lugs like the total chaos for the Tacoma and welded them alongside the ones that were flattened. For the ones that were still ok I ran a bead of weld along the seam. It was easy enough to get under there and weld them that I would suggest it if you were concerned.
IMG_4264.jpeg

It's almost been 2 months since I've last posted. Thats primarily because we have been focused on enjoying the summer with lots of wheeling and camping in our beloved 80. We have however found some time to also get the 200 out wheeling as well as wrap up the installation of the replacement hatch and have new windshield installed. Things have been going pretty smoothly with it and we couldn't be happier with how it performs offroad. Up next on the list is to replace the driver side hub as I believe that is the source of my speed sensor fault. I would also like to lower the front about 1/2" as I think this would remedy some bump steer that occurs under heavy throttle.

IMG_4502.jpeg

IMG_4517.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

IMG_5009.jpeg

IMG_5037.jpeg

Last edited:
It's almost been 2 months since I've last posted. Thats primarily because we have been focused on enjoying the summer with lots of wheeling and camping in our beloved 80. We have however found some time to also get the 200 out wheeling as well as wrap up the installation of the replacement hatch and have new windshield installed. Things have been going pretty smoothly with it and we couldn't be happier with how it performs offroad. Up next on the list is to replace the driver side hub as I believe that is the source of my speed sensor fault. I would also like to lower the front about 1/2" as I think this would remedy some bump steer that occurs under heavy throttle.

IMG_4502.jpeg

IMG_4517.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

IMG_5009.jpeg

IMG_5037.jpeg

Very enjoyable thread read, Thank you!

I appreciate those that are following along. When I last left off, I still had a few items to work out. The first being the wheel speed sensor issue. This was driving me pretty mad because of the litany of warnings that came along with it. The Toyota service manual suggested replacing the wheel bearing as the repair. So, I ordered a Japanese Toyo bearing and got to work. It was much simpler than I had anticipated, and I certainly feel silly for putting it off for a month.
IMG_5511.JPG

I also took this opportunity to pull the front coil overs and lower them about 3/4 to get the ride height where I wanted and resolve the bump steer issue mentioned. I also ordered an eimkeith panhard correction kit and welded that in to help get things back in line.

Once I got it back on the ground and cleared the codes I was able to determine that the bad wheel bearing was indeed the cause of code c0205 and was now gone. The old wheel bearing itself felt fine with little play and good rolling feel. Regardless, its nice to have no more warnings on the dash. It also handled considerably better, despite not have yet been aligned.

IMG_E5503.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

The line up at the shop to get it aligned. A nice assortment of Toyotas. The alignment confirmed that lowering the front was the way to go and it feels really well dialed in now. So, you might be asking what's next? Well, we have trip planned in a few weeks and we plan to get some Gamiviti mounts and move our current tent over from our 80 series for the trip. Meanwhile over the coming months we will be on the lookout for a Go Fast Camper RTT and some Kenda Klever's 35x10.5r17's.

IMG_5623.JPG

Last edited:
It's been about another month, and we have really been enjoying the 200. To be blunt I still prefer my 80 and I don't think that will change, but the 200 is the wife's and I'm just fortunate enough to work on it and drive it sometimes, lol. We took a good family outing to check out the fall colors now that front suspension was dialed in. On the particular set of trials, the 200 proved to perform extremely well. It also revealed a very obvious flaw which is how big the thing is. The trail system we were on was tight for this big thing and made for some fun challenges. All in all, a great trip with the family and with fun had by all.
IMG_6041.JPG
IMG_6043.JPG
IMG_6055.JPG
IMG_6090.JPG
IMG_6104.JPG

Update on the 200. I purchased a Go Fast Camper rtt but we decided it's going on the 80 series instead of the 200. We think we will use that rig more for camping and will just pitch a tent if we take the 200 far from home. It also helps maintain the 200's ability to get into the garages, since it is my wife's daily after all.

We also did a nice little family trip out to the western slope of Colorado this past week. It was about 700 miles round trip and a real blast. This thing is definitely growing on me as I get more time behind the wheel. It sure has power where our 80 and 100 were lacking.

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

IMG_6555.JPG
IMG_6604.JPG

Capturedddf.JPG

I figure it's time for another update. My wife has been driving this thing more than any vehicle she's ever had, so that's a good sign. We took one light wheeling trip to get a Christmas tree and another road trip out the western slope of Colorado again. Other than that, it's been doing daily duty like a champ. We also had an unfortunate encounter with an individual using the bike lane as a driving lane. Although it did quite a bit of damage to the owners Ram it also peeled back the corner of the Dissent front bumper. Fortunately, insurance covered the cost of the bumper. Now we were faced with the dilemma of ordering the Dissent again and waiting 2 1/2 months or driving 30 minutes to Slee and getting one immediately. So, we decided to go with the option from Slee. It took me a total of 7-8 hours to remove the Dissent and install the Slee with breakfast and lunch in between. I still need to take the new bumper cover to have it painted as that was damaged in the accident too, but that can wait for warmer weather.

On a different note, we were gifted some SPC upper control arms that need new bushings, thanks again @lcforlife. This allowed us to also order a set of 35" Kendas. Given the trajectory of this build I also have my eyes out for a good winch. Maybe then the mods will be done for awhile......

IMG_7292.JPG
IMG_7018.JPG

IMG_7380.JPG

An ARB would have held up better.
Agreed, the Dissent being aluminum and 3-piece are what caused it to bend, but it may have saved the frame mount. The new Slee is all steel. Even an ARB will get mangled in the right situation, this is my 80 when I purchased it...
1709563962513.png

Since it's modular you also could have likely just replaced the one wing if there was no further damage.
Unfortunately, not. They changed the design and mine was the older version. They did offer a discount on an entire new one. I definitely appreciate them for offering the discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom