Smokey Startup (1 Viewer)

I know there is many posts on this subject and I have searched them but still cant seem to find an answer. Here is the problem; my 85 BJ 60 (3B) has been smoking and runs rough at start up each morning for a while now. It just smokes and runs rough for a few minutes then clears up and it only occurs in the morning. I have changed the fuel filter, and water seperator. When I turn the ignition my stock gauge shows a little under 12V; checked the batteries and topped up the water. Checked the glow plugs and they are fine. The smoke doesnt smell like burning oil (oil level stays constant). I starting to suspect a faulty injector, but do not have much experience on this subject. Any thoughts?

Is the superglow system working? Get the FSM and do the checks as outlined. You will need a multi-meter.

Seems to be fine; continuity checks as per FSM seem ok.

Continuity might be okay, but are the plugs getting the voltage required for the time needed. When my superglow system started failing I knew I had good plugs. After having to bridge from battery to bus bar for a week to get going in the morning I installed the Wilson Switch.

Excuse my ignorance but I think my truck has a wilson switch installed (not sure if the previous owner installed it or if it stock). It is a button beside the rear defog switch that when depressed my voltage drops quite a bit. I have the stock owners manual and the button does not appear on it so I assume the previous owner(s) installed it. Could it still be the superglow system?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom