Smoke and no power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well I just got done fixing up my inst cluster, new paint on the needles. Sanded and painted the front cleaned the glass. Put new bulbs in and got them working for the first time since I have owned it. It looked so good. So there I was all happy and thinking how nice it is to get things going the way they should be. So I wait till night to take it for a ride to see how the new inst panel lights are and thats when I start to feel the loss of power. missing. and that smell of burning petro products. hmmm I figured that its just being picky again. so today when I start it up and drive it its smoking as if it is burning oil. now this is the first time I have seen it smoke. What I am thinking is that this old tired motor needs new rings maybe but what do you guys think?

way long shot, but any chance you screwed the choke cable up, so that now the choke is closed? maybe when reaching up and under the dash you kinked it or something? like I said a long shot but ya never know?

John H

What color is the smoke? Normally rings don't just go out...its usually a gradual thing. COuld be a variety of things, fuel mixture way rich, head gasket blew, valve stem seals...etc.....

My F did the same thing, couldn't figure it out, till I took the head off. 2 Compression rings had broken, how it happened, I don't know. The is no ridge in the bore or anything. Could have been caused when the timing got screwed up & she backfired a few times.

hmm well lots of things that could be going on but there is no choke cable. Im going to go ahead and rebuild the head. its noisy and I dont think it should be so I may find more going on when that gets pulled. The smoke was blue and smelled like fuel additive. It has since stoped.

Ethan,

Double check to be sure your choke isn't shut (start simple). There can be enough suction on a fully choked (and Loose) engine to draw oil into the chamber through old valve seals. After that things don't look so good ... head gasket becomes most likely next step. Is there any water getting into your oil or oil getting into your water or air (compression) getting into the water (check for bubbles)? Next step is a compression check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom