Smog Pump Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heard a squeal and smelled rubber while craking today and stopped before five seconds had passed. knew right away it was the infamous smog pump living up to it's bad history. Does anyone know if just replacing the bearings will fix the smog pump or if other stuff would be damaged. mabe there's already a thread.. thanks

:cheers:

Are you in a smog controlled area? If not look into running without one.

yes, have to keep her smogged until she's 25 in Texas.

anybody? sorry to be pushin it but this is around a $500 purchase (i'd like it to last long so i'll go OEM) if just replacing the bearings and cleaning it up won't work...

If you take it apart, you'll likely find broken vanes or carbon wipers. They aren't available as replacement parts. A new OE pump will likely last a long time. A 75$ reman pump might last a few years or a few days. My current reman has over five years on it.

My 5 moth old NAPA rebuilt air pump is a piece of s***! It is making noise already, at times it sounds like a flock of pigeons under my hood!

Zack

If your smog pump is going, chances are your power steering pump is leaking.....the ps fluid will drip down onto the sp pully causing the failure. It happened to me while I was doing 65 on an interstate. I ended up with a rebuilt head! Check that ps pump. I shelled out the $$$ for a new OEM, so can't comment on alternatives

When my pump went, the bearing was also warped and prevented it from turning. The vanes were disintegrated into a pile of dust and fragments.
You can clean the inside and grind down the bearing and essentially use as an idler, but you may not pass emissions testing.
I would not advise a new pump - too $$$
I went with a remanufactured pump from cruiserparts.net and have been happy with it (3 months into it)

A lot of people will say get a re-man or there is "some guy" that rebuilds them... DON'T DO IT... go the OEM route. Re-man's don't last IMO. I had 2 replaced under warranty (thank goodness... one was within weeks of the 1 year warranty). I finally went the OEM route and have never had a problem since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom