Smittybilt Replacement motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a new motor for my Smittybilt XRC10and the powers that be want $250 for one. I have searched for an aftermarket motor and no one seems to be able to crossover the part numbers. Turns out its easy to find one for a Warn or Ramsey but not a Smitty, anyone able to help?

:popcorn:

Thats a great find, looks like the same post end which is the key. Thanks!

Think the Smitty solenoid will work this motor, I don't see why not but this is not my forte'.

Yes, the solenoids look identical too. There are a couple of different models, including a waterproof Albright knock off. They all do the same job. I have that motor on my winch and it has run with no problems for over a year (which is not long). The vendor is 5 miles from my house, so I don't have to pay shipping and if something goes wrong I can go over there and hassle them about the warranty. God bless em, they are still in business in CA.

The measurements are basically the same between the Smitty and Tuff Stuff and it looks like the center drive shaft is the same as well but if I am wrong thats shipping both ways down the drain. I did speak to Amo and he could not confirm they were the same but seems like a solid guy. It might be worth a roll of the dice.

Fingers crossed, new Tuff Stuff motor is on the way. Hopefully it is a perfect match for the Smitty.

The motor came in and I hooked it up to the power leads yesterday and it fired up. Now I have to remove the bumper and winch and see if it all bolts together. I feel pretty good about the fit since I found out the two winches are made "very" close to each other. I kinda like the Tuffbilt name, might have to have a sticker made up for that one...Fingers crossed!

Any leads on where I could find a smittybilt contactor?

Not sure what a contactor is but I had good luck with most stuff directly through Smittybilt. If they can't help you then your local 4wheelparts can.

The Tuff Stuff motor bolted up just fine and is a good replacement for the Smittybilt winch! I think ill call it a Tuffsmit winch!

Congratulations. I was wondering how that went. They do all look the same, but looks can be deceiving. I wonder how many places actually make parts over there as opposed to just assembling them and putting a name sticker on them. If you google Chinese winches, there looks like there are a bazillion different manufacturers. There sure aren't that many different designs. Chances are the type of Chinese parts used is more important then the name that is stuck on it. I am kind of partial to the name Smittystuff.

Ive got to give Matt at TruckandWinch.com his props, he helped me diagnose a ground problem that was driving me crazy.

And yep, it appears that the Smittystuff winches are made very very close to each other. After taking all the measurements I was sure the sizes were the same, my main concern was the center drive spindle that ties the motor to the spool. I am so pumped to have fixed this thing and turned a 10k winch into a 12k!

Good info Pin Head I have an XRC10 apart on my bench I can put together now :cheers:

From what I have seen the motors on most Chinese winches appear to be interchangeable. Here is one for $75 with the end plate for the winch. It has a little higher hp rating than most 10K Chinese winches, but a little extra power won't hurt.

TUFF STUFF 12,500 Replacement Motor | TruckandWinch.com

That is too funny. That is the exact same motor and case that is used on the Badlands 12k. I just disassembled mine a few weeks ago and it looks just like the one you posted a link to. So does that make one assume that Badlands, Tuff Stuff and Smittybuilt are all made at the Peoples Winch Factory ?

If you look on Alibaba, there are hundreds of Chinese winch factories, so I don't assume that they are made in the same shop. Most are in the same city. The parts are mostly interchangeable within a product type. Maybe they all just assemble the same parts and put any name you want on it.

This worked beautifully to make my old XRC8 a 12K winch. I also swapped out the planetary gear set and it works beautifully. I had a burned out motor on my xrc8 and a burned out solenoid. I bought a used solenoid online and it works like a charm. Took the old solenoid apart. cleaned it and reasealed it and it works great too. So here we go. My s***tybilt XRC8 is now an XRC12

This worked beautifully to make my old XRC8 a 12K winch. I also swapped out the planetary gear set and it works beautifully. I had a burned out motor on my xrc8 and a burned out solenoid. I bought a used solenoid online and it works like a charm. Took the old solenoid apart. cleaned it and reasealed it and it works great too. So here we go. My s***tybilt XRC8 is now an XRC12
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom