Slow window motor quik-fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally had enough of the molasses-in-January speed of my elec. windows. If this quik-fix has been posted, I apologize.

I popped the panels off, tore off all the factory plastic, and greased everything I could find with the same grease I use on the boat trailer.

Like brand new!

Since I ripped the old plastic off, I also took the opportunity to install the DynaMat I've procrastinated over...all door panels and windows.

FYI..low tech solution.

...Kit.

Cool,

Did you use marine bearing brease? The green stuff?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9691;start=msg85064#msg85064 date=1073345430]
Cool,

[/quote]

Hey Dan....

Do you remember the maker/brand of the marine bearing grease. I'm gonna do this trick. Are door panels a :banana: or :banana: :banana: job on these things? Haven't had one apart yet.

Yep...Lubrimatic, specifically. I really was surprised it worked as well as it did on the DS window, which was giving me the most problem...same stuff I use in the trailer wheel bearings and the outboard fittings...

.....or could it be the DynaMat is simply muffling that horrible sound? Hmmmmm.....whatever the case, I am well pleased! Raise / Lower speed of the windows is DRASTICALLY improved....a must for any serious rock crawler!!!!!!!

Brad, as others here may attest: If 'I' did it, it's gotta be a :banana: job....

If you want to save the plastic, though, be careful when pulling it off....I really didn't care since the DynaMat was VERY cheap for me.

Oh yeah.......I was LIBERAL with the grease.....applied it in windows UP and DOWN positions. Also siliconed the vertical tracks.

Actually.....I was REALLY liberal...you may wanna have a can of windex or better handy... ;)

[quote author=bkgiii link=board=2;threadid=9691;start=msg85074#msg85074 date=1073345840]
Brad, as others here may attest: If 'I' did it, it's gotta be a :banana: job....

If you want to save the plastic, though, be careful when pulling it off....I really didn't care since the DynaMat was VERY cheap for me.

[/quote]

Nice.... any hints on where to get cheap Dynamat. Got any leftover you wanna sell? ;)

what is dynamat?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9691;start=msg85064#msg85064 date=1073345430]
Cool,

[/quote]

Is that the same as the "blue" stuff? The blue is pretty stiff grease. :p

Tom

Thanks for the tip. Mine are lubed with molasses now too and barely go up in the cold. Time to go to my Marine supply shop :D

Mark

Bkgiii,

What exactly did you lube? I've tried lubing mine before but it didn't seem to help much. I put multi-purpose grease on a couple of the joints for the metal arm that goes up and down, and then sprayed silicone grease down the window channel molding. But I must be missing something or need to re-do.

Shortbus,

Getting the panel off is a :banana:/2 job. I think there's only three or four screws holding it on. If the cruisers are like the 450's (and I hear they are) there is a screw or two under the leather armrest piece (which pops off with a screwdriver) then pop out the snap-in fasteners around the bottom and side edges. From there (if you haven't missed anything) the panel hangs on the door along the top edge - just lift it off. Obviously you've got some electrical connections but you can leave them attached to the panel and work around.

Rookie2

Pop up and out the controls and detach them .. then remove the panel , and re-attach the controls for clear access of the door inners and tweaking the window up and down later .

Brad - How much 'leftover' do you need? PM me, and I'll check with my 'source', aka best friend that owns high end audio shop.

Semlin - Dynamat - I love this stuff - = sound deadening / dampening material -- check it out @ http://www.dynamat.com/

Rookie2 / Brad - Panel removal's a breeze, pretty much as described...careful with those clips...I didn't even disconnect the controls - just let the panel's dangle. As for what exactly I greased: pretty much everything except the window channels / felt (I used spray silicone on those). I greased the regulator bolt, scissor assembly, the big ol' gear thingy, and the metal channel(s)....greased 'em with the windows in 'up' position first, then lowered them, and greased 'em again.

That's it.

I dunno'......but it's better than it was!

bk,
Hope you didn't destroy the plastic behind the panels. If so, plan on wet floorboards. THe p.o. of my rig had torn the plastic when installing speakers. Floor was wet after heavy rains. Took about 2 months before i realized it wasn't the sun roof, when the back door floor was wet also. :cheers:

:-X Don't tell me that..............

.........I removed (in pieces) and discarded the plastic. Everywhere there WAS plastic, and more, now has Dynamat.....you forsee problems?

i'm not sure what dynamat is. But when trying to find my leak problem, I had thought it was the sunroof. Sat in my rig one sunny afternoon and had a friend spray the garden hose at my driver's side door. After about 3 minutes, i could literally see water droplets coming through the seams of the door panel under the arm rest. I replaced the plastic, and now it doesn't leak. I got the plastic from SOR. I had to call them and ask for it b/c they don't have it in their catalog.

[quote author=bkgiii link=board=2;threadid=9691;start=msg85416#msg85416 date=1073400767]
Brad - How much 'leftover' do you need? PM me, and I'll check with my 'source', aka best friend that owns high end audio shop.

Rookie2 / Brad - Panel removal's a breeze, pretty much as described...careful with those clips...I didn't even disconnect the controls - just let the panel's dangle. As for what exactly I greased: pretty much everything except the window channels / felt (I used spray silicone on those). I greased the regulator bolt, scissor assembly, the big ol' gear thingy, and the metal channel(s)....greased 'em with the windows in 'up' position first, then lowered them, and greased 'em again.

That's it.
[/quote]

Cool... Looks like maybe it'd be a good idea to put the factory plastic back over the Dynamat.

After reading this thread my windows are finally going to get lubed this weekend, I didn't realise how easy it would be to get the panel off. The last time I took a door panel off was on a Ford and almost every clip broke :doh: . Thanks for the info guys. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom