Slow Motion LS Swap - (aka Heater/Cooling System Issue) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Believe me I poured over the regs early last year and El Paso is exempt from all that stuff. To this point anyway.
I think it has to do with all the military equipment in the county, but that's a guess. Couldn't really find a solid reason.
I know in GA heavy duty vehicles are exempt from alot of that stuff too. Think it's 5000# and up.

Believe me I poured over the regs early last year and El Paso is exempt from all that stuff. To this point anyway.
I think it has to do with all the military equipment in the county, but that's a guess. Couldn't really find a solid reason.
I know in GA heavy duty vehicles are exempt from alot of that stuff too. Think it's 5000# and up.
Yeah, I just found the list of counties and we're not one... but for how long?

My understanding was that emissions testing was coming back for the whole state. But again, I haven't heard anything about it recently.

So, Eric... let's say I find a solution to this problem and wanted to do a swap... other than this very helpful thread, where else should I look for "how tos" and instructions? I've looked on this site a bit and found a lot of blabbedy-blab-blab, but nothing especially helpful. The only engine swaps I've ever done have been intra-platform and vastly simpler than this.

This thread is a gold mine. But it's very long, so hard to find the nuggets sometimes.

Just so you know, I had my cats replaced a couple years ago and the shop told me that oem cats are required as of I think January 2021??…I replaced mine not long after that date. This is in El Paso county. They would not put aftermarket cats on. Luckily I bought oems. I think if you do it yourself you’ll be fine but if you want a shop to do it you may not be so lucky here in the springs. No smog or inspection at this time but could happen down the road.

Yeah, that's the new cat law. Just makes it more expensive to replace when the government that mandated them also permits rampant cat theft. As for engine swaps, I have three different answers from state and federal bureaus (of the half dozen I tried to reach). So stupid!

So I took the truck in for a Dyno tune today. The guys at Under Pressure Power and Performance hooked me up on their AWD unit. Did a baseline pull to see where things were, and then cleaned it up a bit. My main concerns were getting rid of my persistent P0300 code (random, multi-cylinder miss-fire), and it felt like my low end torque could be better - needed to much RPM to get stuff done in low range.

So here's the before and after. Through most of the RPM range it's pretty modest - 5% to 8% on HP & torque. But he found me a lot at the low end between 2000 and 2500 RPM - an extra 26 HP (44% increase) and 70 ft-lbs (54% increase) around 2100 RPM. As I understand, it was a bit rich, especially at higher RPM. And he did something with the timing at low RPM. At some point I'll pull the tune on HP Tuners and compare it to the before tune to get a better idea what they did.

dyno_chart.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom