Slow HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I've had my 1987 HJ60 for a number of years now and pretty much accepted the fact that she's slow. In the end, I would like to get a turbo for it but thats probably after shes been put through a refurbishment. She currently has 298k km (185k miles) on her. I've hardly driven her since I bought her and maybe its cause of the fact that she's darn slow. I drove her today and wanted to see how long it would take from 0 - 60 mph. Actually took a couple of minutes (yes not seconds) since she couldn't hit 60 mph until I hit a downhill spot on the highway.

I'm not a wrencher and don't know where to start in terms of how to get this puppy going. I'm not looking for it to be a rocket or anything, just for it to be able to accelerate decently. Is this the norm for these diesel trucks? If it is, I'll accept it. If not, I'd like to try to slowly get her in good shape.

Thanks,
John

Is it auto or standard? Did you attempt this 0-60 mph on the flat or up a hill? What's your tire size?

A stock HJ60 with a 5spd will do this in about 30 seconds, IIRC. I haven't timed mine with the turbo but I'd guess it's down to 25 secs. the auto is definitely a little slower, toss in a hill and you'd wait all day for 60 mph! same with the manual really.

Sorry for not clarifying, its an auto. And I tried 0 - 60 on a flat highway and she has BFG All Terrains 33 x 10.5 x 15's

They are not fast but in good condition I find them ok to drive. You need to remember they were not designed for american freeways,they are more at home bouncing along a remote track loaded to the hilt with fuel and water.
Autos seem to really suck the power from them

Have you changed all your filters,ever had the injectors done?

If you kept the same diff gear, than your speedometer reading will be off, you are going faster than what it tell you. My auto HJ60 isn't fast but I can manage to get to 60mph (100kph) quite easily, unless it's uphill!

I've got mine since more than a year, doing the knuckle rebuild, changing all the brakes (they were stuck), fluids and reajusting the kickdown cable make the ride better and a bit faster.

Under normal acceleration (not too quick, not too slow) it takes 58 seconds for my HJ60 with auto.
So, based on that, yours should be able to do better than several minutes.

seriously ..?

Tencha it's heavy big and slow .. but last time I check was about 30 segs or so .. ( can re check on weekend ) but 1 min it's crazy slow ..

1 min is quite slow, I did not measure mine but it's way under a minute and way above 6 seconds ;)

So some things for me to consider... injectors, filters, and kickdown cable?

Injectors - how hard are they to replace? and should I just get mine rebuilt or just buy new? and any brands to go with?

Filters - which are all the filters I need to have on my checklist?

Kickdown cable - I'll try to search on here to learn how to adjust

thanks,
John

Kickdown cable - I'll try to search on here to learn how to adjust
Do you have the 2H/12HT Engine FSM? If so, check the section where they adjust Idle RPM and Max RPM (page EM 28-30).

Basically,an auto should idle at 750 and be able to reach 4170 rpm in neutral.

Looks like it, they do not show the Toyota part number. BTW, check your PM.

Is this an engine manual and body chassis manual combined? Looks thick lol

The 2H 12HT Engine manual nov 1985 is RM012E (corrected)

Last edited:
Is this an engine manual and body chassis manual combined? Looks thick lol

The 2H 12HT Engine manual nov 1985 is RM1012E

scrooll down a little to the 221-12 SOR part number for the 2H/12HT manual. My FSM is RM012E for nov 1985.

scrooll down a little to the 221-12 SOR part number for the 2H/12HT manual. My FSM is RM012E for nov 1985.

Correct,the corner of mine is damaged,it is RM012E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom