Slooooow Wipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvazquez53

El Tractor
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I am having this problem with my wipers, they move slow, very slow, to the point that the stop. I already replaced the motor once and still doing the same. Is like the wipers are dragging badly. What could be causing this?

If all the linkages are moving freely and the wiper motor was a new OEM replacement then you should start looking at the wiring including grounds, switches, relays, fuses, and connectors that may be limiting the amperage to the motor.

I am having this problem with my wipers, they move slow, very slow, to the point that the stop. I already replaced the motor once and still doing the same. Is like the wipers are dragging badly. What could be causing this?
I would say this is perhaps a fairly rare. I was a shop mechanic and I worked on just about every vehicle except exotic cars. I would take some alcohol to the windshield and clean the windshield to see if the rubber is dragging on the windshield. Check the linkage for freedom of movement. I'm sure there is probably a scale measurement of the linkage. In other words if you look in your leg Cruiser repair manual it shows you how many foot pounds or how many inch pounds is required to move the windshield wiper across the windshield. Honestly I've never had to come across a problem like this before. It could be also not up current is being delivered I between the windshield wiper motor wiring and the fuse box. So you could have a current limiting issues such as corrosion that could be preventing your windshield wiper from moving fast enough. Try this if you can go buy a spool of wire and some crimp on alligator clips. Create a ground wire and create a positive red wire. And disconnect the Power clip from the motor and go straight off a battery and see how fast the a motor moves. If It Moves extremely fast that tells you there could be a potential wiring issue. And then take the positive wire and clip on to a negative Spade and insert that into the positive slot for the windshield wiper relay. See if the speed is still substantially faster. I highly doubt you have electrical resistance on the wiring between the wiper relay and the motor but it helps to isolate the problem. Lastly where did you buy your windshield wiper blades?

I would say this is perhaps a fairly rare. I was a shop mechanic and I worked on just about every vehicle except exotic cars. I would take some alcohol to the windshield and clean the windshield to see if the rubber is dragging on the windshield. Check the linkage for freedom of movement. I'm sure there is probably a scale measurement of the linkage. In other words if you look in your leg Cruiser repair manual it shows you how many foot pounds or how many inch pounds is required to move the windshield wiper across the windshield. Honestly I've never had to come across a problem like this before. It could be also not up current is being delivered I between the windshield wiper motor wiring and the fuse box. So you could have a current limiting issues such as corrosion that could be preventing your windshield wiper from moving fast enough. Try this if you can go buy a spool of wire and some crimp on alligator clips. Create a ground wire and create a positive red wire. And disconnect the Power clip from the motor and go straight off a battery and see how fast the a motor moves. If It Moves extremely fast that tells you there could be a potential wiring issue. And then take the positive wire and clip on to a negative Spade and insert that into the positive slot for the windshield wiper relay. See if the speed is still substantially faster. I highly doubt you have electrical resistance on the wiring between the wiper relay and the motor but it helps to isolate the problem. Lastly where did you buy your windshield wiper blades?
I even replaced the blades, I will try the alcohol and then the wiring,
thank you!

It's not too rare, I have 3 80s and two of them have this problem. The motors work fine without the linkage attached and I've cleaned and lubed the linkages. I haven't looked into it, because they work well enough and I don't drive them, the kids do, but I always suspected it was as @ppc says, low current supply to the motor.

Hi, Another thought, check to make sure the splines in wiper blade arms are not striped where they attached. Agreed this does happen. Mike

I wonder if there is a wiper relay?

Just noticed today that the low speed works ok, high speed is not. Wipers drag pretty bad.

My wipers were VERY slow and would sometimes stop. I couldn't tell if it was the switch or the motor so I ordered a reman motor from RockAuto in August 2018. Swapped in the new motor and everything was functioning correctly but OEM slow. After a few months, it was clear that the RockAuto reman wasn't going to last 20 years like the OEM motor. The epoxy covering the wires was melting and surface rust was starting to appear.

On a trip back from the beach, we ran into a massive rainstorm and had to operate the wipers on high for an hour. As soon as we exit the storm, the wipers stop working. Luckily we didn't hit anymore rain. Turns out the reman unit was popping fuses. It popped two more fuses before I threw in the towel. I pulled out my old motor, disassembled, cleaned up the brushes/commutator, and added some grease. I replaced the 2 year old RockAuto reman with my 25 year old motor. Oddly enough, my OEM motor was in better condition than the RockAuto reman. Most of the rubber on the RockAuto motor was starting to breakdown and allow water in the motor.

There is a way to increase swipes per minute with the OEM motor at the cost of torque. By shortening the lever arm on the back of the motor, the wipers will be much faster but have less power to remove heavy rain or snow. I like the idea of the Ford solenoid mod. Where are the details on this mod?

thank you for responding. Is this a dramatic difference?
For the starter, yes. It's been about 10 years that I did it and since then no starter issues. I'll probably try it with the wipers, even better , first I'll suggest it to my mechanic to see his opinion.

Should be fairly easy to troubleshoot. Run a direct wire to wiper motor to see if it goes fast. If still slow then motor or ground. I’m guessing it will Go fast. Another issue is the variable speed stalk switch. Power to it could be run direct, just need to figure out which wire goes to it. Wiper relay? Is there one? Power to it or power out of it to stalk?
Just a couple ideas.
Btw it’s been SOooo nice not worrying about an 80 series starter since the Ford solenoid mod. Got three I work on and haven’t touched a starter since mod’s were done. 🙂

Should be fairly easy to troubleshoot. Run a direct wire to wiper motor to see if it goes fast. If still slow then motor or ground. I’m guessing it will Go fast. Another issue is the variable speed stalk switch. Power to it could be run direct, just need to figure out which wire goes to it. Wiper relay? Is there one? Power to it or power out of it to stalk?
Just a couple ideas.
Btw it’s been SOooo nice not worrying about an 80 series starter since the Ford solenoid mod. Got three I work on and haven’t touched a starter since mod’s were done. 🙂
I'll try that. Looks to be that must be either a ground or the switch, the motor(s) one was rebuilt, and te other was a replacement from a newer model. I noticed the other day that in slow speed is working more or less ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom