SLLC versus LLC as relates to head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read that the super long life coolant (pink) is back spec'd to all Toyota models and of course the 80 series came with the long life coolant (red). I've seen some pics of other Toyota engines where the wrong antifreeze was used and it destroyed the head by ruining the water passages and the head gasket. My understanding is that Toyota updated the 1FZ-FE head gasket at least 3 times to improve it and we all know about the head gasket failures. So, it got me to wondering if the newer SLLC was any better for the headgasket?

Antifreeze is good, it's recommended to run some. If you are spun up about a brand, run it, will likely work. :hillbilly:

Lol. I want to avoid problems like this from the 4Runner forum. (I know it’s a Prius engine example)
758B18F6-9BAD-47A5-9987-13CE7A3450AF.jpeg

The advice I've given my customers over the years, If you don't neglect your cooling system by running the same coolant for 4 or 5* years without changing it, you'll get many years of service out of your cooling system. So it's not so much what brand coolant you use. It's about performing REGULAR COOLING SYSTEM MAINTENANCE, doing a flush, refill with distilled water, and new coolant every two years. *I've never been a big fan of so called long life coolants. I've told my customers they can do what they like. But on my own truck, i change the coolant with a complete flush every two years regardless if the manufacturer says the coolant will last 5 years. YMMV

Have never seen cavitation damage on a head, have no idea how that would happen or how antifreeze would prevent it, but have never worked on a Prius? Have seen plenty of examples of corrosion damage, from running antifreeze too long, aged out additives. Looks like this.
Just received the cynlinder head back

while its true that you shouldn't mix different coolants, typicaly with the Toyota red or pink the problem is mixing it with green that causes problems. personally I wouldn't run pink, its more on the acidic side and I prefer the red anyways

Have never seen cavitation damage on a head, have no idea how that would happen or how antifreeze would prevent it, but have never worked on a Prius?
The only engines I've seen cavitation damage on, has been diesel engines. Here's a web site link that has info about what causes that damage, along with info on what are the correct coolants and additives to use to prevent that type of damage.
Understanding Cavitation in the 7.3L IDI Diesel

Here's another link that some members may find helpful. It has more info about Toyota Red and Pink long life coolants. The info comes from a shop owner who does repairs on Toyotas.
Antifreeze Toyota-Lexus-Scion
From the link above i found this quote.
Note: " The Super Long Life coolant shouldn't be used in the older Toyotas that came with brass & copper radiators, as it's organic-acid-technology corrosion inhibitors aren't effective for these metals or the soldering used in these radiators".

I also found this quote in regard to cavitation damage, that damage can be caused due to a bad radiator cap.

"Same with pressures: too low a pressure due to a faulty radiator cap increases the likelihood of internal metal erosion due to cavitation. Even allowing the system to go small grows corrosion, because the combination of air and steam in the system is a lot more corrosive than staying consistently bathed in coolant. This really is apparently more especially so for coolants with organic-acid-technology based corrosion inhibitors, that is the class of inhibitors that Toyota's Super Long Life coolant uses.".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom