Slee Spindle Bushing Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man, I missed all this, no wonder Frank has been pestering me on emails re: the spindle grease issues and 10 other unrelated things, including those Toyota Sales Engineers that wrote the factory service manuals. Shame on them.

I can see the use for an IFS rig. There is no grease pool to lube the bushing and most of them have needle bearings, that are much more prone to catastrophic failure when starved. But even there, if it is making noise, the damage is done, it's only a matter of time before it needs to be inspected, replaced?

We did this tool mostly for the 100 series to be used as preventative maintenance. Yes, when it makes noise, it might be trashed.

We have talked to customers that forgot to grease the bushing and as soon as they started driving it made noise. Our experiences is that the grease does not get into the bushing fast enough to prevent damage.

Man, I missed all this, no wonder Frank has been pestering me on emails re: the spindle grease issues and 10 other unrelated things, including those Toyota Sales Engineers that wrote the factory service manuals. Shame on them.

His tinfoil hat theory was entertaining, for a few minutes, but is just old, tiring now. It would be easy to prove, simply get some original fill and have it tested for sodium base, but that would just prove what tons of us have been telling him, he is wrong. My left side has never been apart, has had lithium base added, but if there were any sodium base, it would be detectable. IMHO he is just a troll, pure and simple. :mad:

Last edited:
We did this tool mostly for the 100 series to be used as preventative maintenance. Yes, when it makes noise, it might be trashed.

We have talked to customers that forgot to grease the bushing and as soon as they started driving it made noise. Our experiences is that the grease does not get into the bushing fast enough to prevent damage.

Christo -

Is the intended market for this tool any of us who are running needle bearings in our spindles, instead of the brass bushing with the grooves?

Is the reason you reference the 100- series is that they are running needle bearings in the spindles (I'm asking, I don't recall what Beno said these needle bearing spindles original application was)?

I have the newer style spindles, and there was a thread a long time back with part#'s for basically a bushing update kit using the needle bearings to replace the brash bushing that's OE.

Am I reading you right that the better course of action during maintenance greasing is to use this tool & add grease to/through our needle bearings, instead of going in through the pipe plug on top as we did when running brass bushings?

Thanks! -- Ben

Christo -

Is the intended market for this tool any of us who are running needle bearings in our spindles, instead of the brass bushing with the grooves?

On most 80's, either needle bearings or old style bushing, the area is normally lubed up when the axle is serviced. One can use this tool to grease the bushing when you do a wheel bearing repack and you are not taking the spindle off.

Is the reason you reference the 100- series is that they are running needle bearings in the spindles (I'm asking, I don't recall what Beno said these needle bearing spindles original application was)?

The 100 does not have the grease cavity like the 80 with the birfield. So the spindle has to be lubed when assembled, or in between when you do a wheel bearing repack.

I have the newer style spindles, and there was a thread a long time back with part#'s for basically a bushing update kit using the needle bearings to replace the brash bushing that's OE.

Am I reading you right that the better course of action during maintenance greasing is to use this tool & add grease to/through our needle bearings, instead of going in through the pipe plug on top as we did when running brass bushings?

Thanks! -- Ben

I am sure the tool will help to grease the needle bearings easier, than relying on the grease to flow from the birfield cavity to the needle bearing.

Thanks Onur for the confirmation & thanks Christo for that quick reply - I expect I'll add one to my next order with you.

I just got mine about 2 minutes ago from the man in brown
Its a nice looking piece of machined metal whether it works or not it looks cool
I will try it out this weekend and report back:cheers:

FWIW: I used the new style spindle bearings/bushing set up when I did the front axle service on my 80 last year. I greased up the bearings and bushing along with the bearing surface of the birfield before I slapped it together, and then added about a tube and a half of grease to each knuckle IIRC. Within maybe two thousand miles or so after doing the service one morning when I first headed out for the day I noticed the typical rumbling like dry spindle bushings so I added about a 3/4 tube of grease via the inspection port to both knuckles and the rumbling was not there the next day. The knuckle ball grease line also went from about 1/2-2/3 to about 3/4-top of the ball. I can see how this tool might help get grease quicker to a dry bushing on an 80 or even help in diagnosing a dry bushing, like if the rumbling went away immediately after pumping in some grease. On the other hand seems like every time I've pulled the grease caps and drive flanges off I've seen that grease from the knuckle has worked it's way down the spindle tube.

Last edited:
I wasn't around for the first go round with the goop guy but I can add this.

I was brought a 95 LC with both birfs clicking badly for a front axle job.

My first question was if the axle was ever serviced?

The answer was 20k miles ago and here is the invoice for the work.

The company used lithium grease instead of the proper moly fortified grease spec'd out by Toyota.

I did a axle rebuild using the proper grease and the clicking went away. The cavities had plenty of grease in them but the wrong type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom