Slee Sliders with lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Helping a friend install Slee sliders on his 2021 LC. He also bought the light kit from Slee which he'd like to have. He'd also like the lights to come on when the door is opened. The instructions seem to be for the Lexus version and so it talks about splicing to a harness that we cannot find. Anyone that has added the light kit to their sliders, where is the best place to pull power so the lights turn on when the doors open?

Preface these comments with: I have an LX so haven't done any of this, but since no one chimed in, I'll throw out what I've read on the forum.

AFAIK, the LX is the only 200 with the circuit for exterior approach lights. I think most LC owners trigger those lights 1 of two ways. Either using something like a switch pros with a trigger from the puddle lights (marker lights that are in the doors). Or, which is essentially the same thing just not as nice as a SwitchPro, triggering a newly installed relay with the puddle lights . You might be able to get away with powering the lights directly with that circuit, but I'm pretty sure it's only 5 amps, so probably safest to use a relay. It would probably be easiest to find the control module that controls these lights, or at least the harness before it goes into the door and identify the wire, and tap there.

Preface these comments with: I have an LX so haven't done any of this, but since no one chimed in, I'll throw out what I've read on the forum.

AFAIK, the LX is the only 200 with the circuit for exterior approach lights. I think most LC owners trigger those lights 1 of two ways. Either using something like a switch pros with a trigger from the puddle lights (marker lights that are in the doors). Or, which is essentially the same thing just not as nice as a SwitchPro, triggering a newly installed relay with the puddle lights . You might be able to get away with powering the lights directly with that circuit, but I'm pretty sure it's only 5 amps, so probably safest to use a relay. It would probably be easiest to find the control module that controls these lights, or at least the harness before it goes into the door and identify the wire, and tap there.
The SLEE slider light can be installed on the LC200 that has the sill "Landcruiser" lights. That is where the SLEE kit gets wired into. Note the slider lights only come on when either the front driver or passenger doors are opened. They do not come on with the rear doors opened.

4711.jpeg

Last edited:
Helping a friend install Slee sliders on his 2021 LC. He also bought the light kit from Slee which he'd like to have. He'd also like the lights to come on when the door is opened. The instructions seem to be for the Lexus version and so it talks about splicing to a harness that we cannot find. Anyone that has added the light kit to their sliders, where is the best place to pull power so the lights turn on when the doors open?
You will need total into the lighted front door sill plates wiring, (at least on later LC200's, as I can't speak for earlier models). 2 LED rock lights draw less than 2 amps total so the OEM circuit should be able to handle; however, if goal is to have dedicated rock lights they will need an independent supply/switch circuit plus a lead from hem sill circuit with diode to prevent back flow. Also you will need to confirm if OEM lighting is switched on source or ground side and wire accordingly.

Thanks. Goal is just to have the puddle lights. We talked about a dedicated switch and that's not what he wants, just wants them to come on when he opens the door. He does have the lighted Land Cruiser logo in the sill. Do I just pop the sill off and tap the circuit underneath?

I'll talk to him about adding a relay with the sill lights as a trigger and going back to the battery for the power source. If it was my truck I'd probably do that but he may be ok with just using them OEM circuit and avoiding running extra wire. Doubt the lights would ever be on for more than a few minutes and they should be low amp draw.

Thanks. Goal is just to have the puddle lights. We talked about a dedicated switch and that's not what he wants, just wants them to come on when he opens the door. He does have the lighted Land Cruiser logo in the sill. Do I just pop the sill off and tap the circuit underneath?

I'll talk to him about adding a relay with the sill lights as a trigger and going back to the battery for the power source. If it was my truck I'd probably do that but he may be ok with just using them OEM circuit and avoiding running extra wire. Doubt the lights would ever be on for more than a few minutes and they should be low amp draw.
I just had sLee sliders and the rock lights installed last week on my Land Cruiser HE 21.
The mechanic tied into the door sill lights.
The result was that the lights come on when you open the doors or unlock the vehicle. They turn off when you close the doors. Or lock the vehicle .

Except :

the vehicles is designed so that When you approach the vehicle the dome lights turn on inside. With this wiring into the door so The rock lights do not turn on with the dome light.

You would Have to tie into the dome light for this to happen.

With the door ail wiring this is the result:

What I’ve noticed is that at night time The internal cabin dim lights that are at your feet turn on. So, because the rock lights are wired on that circuit,
when driving the vehicle the rock lights are also on as you drive. but they are very dim. However, they are constantly on at night time whenever the feet pedal lights are on inside the vehicle. They get three times brighter when you open the door. At first I was very disappointed that they were always on at night but in reality it’s not that bright when you’re driving around at night time. It’s about the same Brightness at the side of the vehicle as it is at the rear of the vehicle from the tail lights. It gives sort of a buffer glow around the vehicle. It’s not obnoxious but rock lights are dim an on.
It’s a mild glow and not agressive .

To solve this issue you must tie into the dome light.

I may take it back to the mechanic and have them tie into the dome light but I’m getting use to it as well

As far as wiring into the done light :
The result will be that when you walk up to the vehicle the rock lights will turn on Without touching the door I imagine that they’ll act exactly like the dome lights it’s the same circuit. They will be completely off at night while driving .

Hope this helps

Search rock lights courtesy lights on YouTube. A few Tacoma guys have done it.

I figured out what wire it was for us and tapped that from the overhead center console and ran a wire down the A-pillar.

Full disclosure I only ran the wire for now. Haven’t installed the lights yet. But it should do what the dome light does. And it also will dim up and down like the dome light.

Here's a thread covering same topic.

I think the videos i mentioned above tap into the variable ground of the dome light gives it the ability to dim up and down. Different then just tapping into a fuse or the power for the dome light.

The SLEE slider light can be installed on the LC200 that has the sill "Landcruiser" lights. That is where the SLEE kit gets wired into. Note the slider lights only come on when either the front driver or passenger doors are opened. They do not come on with the rear doors opened.

View attachment 2935632

View attachment 2935632
greetings all- reaching out for some help. My 2020 LC Heritage is at the shop and they've installed the sliders, but the lighting kit is giving them a challenge.. upon installation of the lighting kit they tried to start the vehicle and it won't start- almost like a dead battery but the battery is good. Anybody have this issue ? and if so any suggestions I can forward along to the shop like a reset ? I'm pretty sure they tied into the lighted door sills. thanks in advance

greetings all- reaching out for some help. My 2020 LC Heritage is at the shop and they've installed the sliders, but the lighting kit is giving them a challenge.. upon installation of the lighting kit they tried to start the vehicle and it won't start- almost like a dead battery but the battery is good. Anybody have this issue ? and if so any suggestions I can forward along to the shop like a reset ? I'm pretty sure they tied into the lighted door sills. thanks in advance
They need to recheck the battery terminals and tighten them up

Everything works in the vehicle-lights, radio even the lighting pkg for the sliders, but when they try to start it there is no turnover, nothing...I don't think they even touched the battery-I think there is some sort of "reset"- thoughts anyone? thanks in advance

Starters are a potential failure point, typically it’s the solenoid, but that is colocated with the starter. If you really aren’t getting a click that is a strong possibility.

Sometimes rocking the truck in gear will get a positive result.

Starters are a potential failure point, typically it’s the solenoid, but that is colocated with the starter. If you really aren’t getting a click that is a strong possibility.

Sometimes rocking the truck in gear will get a positive result.
I spent about $600 for a tow and diagnosis because I thought that I’d experienced the “dead starter” issue. Turned out that my 4 year old battery had died. Enough juice to play the radio but not enough to wake up the solenoid.
And even though I come from a life where tapping the starter with a hammer was part of trouble shooting I can’t imagine how rocking the truck “ in gear“ could do anything. There is absolutely no connection between the drive train and the starter is there?

I spent about $600 for a tow and diagnosis because I thought that I’d experienced the “dead starter” issue. Turned out that my 4 year old battery had died. Enough juice to play the radio but not enough to wake up the solenoid.
And even though I come from a life where tapping the starter with a hammer was part of trouble shooting I can’t imagine how rocking the truck “ in gear“ could do anything. There is absolutely no connection between the drive train and the starter is there?
Try to get to a new brush location or tooth on the starter motor, or knock the solenoid a little, all that. Agreed the starter gear isn’t engaged, so in gear rocking would t be useful. there was something on a thread a couple years back.

Could be a deadish battery too.

Too bad they didn’t ship any manual 200s to the us, at least those you can get going again with a bad starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom