Slee 2nd Battery tray with dual air compressor bracket - need a pic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mike6158

Random Pixel Generator
Threads
Website
wildlightimagingstudio.com
Does anyone have pics of their Slee 2nd battery w/ dual air compressor bracket installed. I can't figure out how this thing is going to fit. The directions aren't the best. I need a little more than "pull some stuff off, stick bracket in there, bolt it back on" for instruction. I started videoing the process and I literally got stuck after removing the air box and power steering fluid reservoir. I assume the power steering reservoir bracket had to come off? It doesn't say that in the instructions. It just says to unclip the reservoir... There's a wire clip that I'm supposed to unclip from inside the wheel well, except there's no wire clip in that location... The tubing (brake lines?) and wire loom at the back look like they are going to interfere. There are some "things" on the passenger side fender wall that look like they may be in the way. There's nothing about that in the install directions.

Anyway... here's the bracket laying in how I'm guessing it has to go.

p2530663929-6.jpg

And here's the space without anything in it.

p2530664303-6.jpg

I just completed my install last week. Read through al the instructions a couple of times. If I remember correctly, some of the instructions do not make sense with the photos. When everything goes together, there is not much room.
Here are some photos I have on my computer, maybe they will help.

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_8610.jpg

Wow that's tight and it makes everything more clear. I've read through the instructions a few times. They're too vague imho. I was able to change my steering rack (with help from MUD), install brake pads, repack wheel bearings, etc so it's not like I don't have any mechanical skills. I will freely admit, however, that I'm a 0's and 1's person. I don't do "fuzzy" very well.

Stepping away helped a little I figured out what was confusing me. The holes for the two tabs at the firewall end of the wheel well aren't there. The factory never drilled them. The instructions don't say to drill them. Looks like I need to drill them...

p2530737640-6.jpg

But it actually looks like it'll work. I'm not a fan of moving the power steering reservoir closer to the engine. I don't have a better solution though...

p2530737131-6.jpg

CORRECTION!! They are drilled. There is some kind of insulation over the holes. Just push it out with a bolt, screwdriver, whatever

Can someone help a noob out, what's the main purpose of running an extra battery? I'm assuming you can hook up more crap to it while the engine is off? If I hook up a bunch of lights to it, will it eventually drain both batteries or will the secondary drain first then that's it, it doesn't drain the main battery with it?

@Mike6158 you beat me to the answer.
@FxFormat There are many schools of thought, but basically to run more crap - correct. Draining both batteries down, that depends on how they are hooked up. Some people run a battery management system, some people will hook bother batteries together and then they will have a bunch of reserve capacity. There are many thread on the various benefits of each system, and I am not about to get myself thrown into that heated debate, do your own research.
One thing I will tell you, carry a jump box. For less than $50 you can carry a portable battery jump kits that will get you out of 75% of the drained battery situations.

The main purpose is to protect your main battery.

I added a second battery because I'm also going to add an ARB compressor (tomorrow) and a winch (after I get over buying all of the stuff I just bought :D and can afford a new front bumper to mount it in). The compressor will let me run an impact wrench, air up tires, and hopefully actuate lockers one day. I will install an HF Ham rig (100W) soon, a VHF/UHF/APRS Ham rig, and I may install a CB (room may be an issue). I have an ARB refrigerator that I want to install. I don't think I'll get to the electrical upgrade for the rear area of the LC (that's where all of the Ham radio and refrigerator power will be) this weekend. I'd also like to carry a solar panel to supplement the power from the aux battery but a some point I'm going to run out of room for stuff and I'll have to make some choices

Ok... now for the anticlimax. The install is a one :banana: job at best. If you get too caught up in the details (guilty), allow yourself to get frustrated (guilty), then just step away. Maybe whine on MUD... or re-read the instructions. This tray really is a bolt in. In spite of my :crybaby: the instructions are fine. It looks good too :) I think it will look better with a battery but for now I'll store my laundry there or something o_O Kidding... I'll go see the local battery guy tomorrow. He'll be glad to see me. I need two batteries.

I have the battery control kit that Slee sells. Once the batteries are installed I'll work on installing the controller and routing the large power wire to the rear of the LC. Hopefully the first week of October is nice weather down here. I'm off all week. I have a lot to do- lift, stereo, rear bumper, lots of wiring, new fuse block, etc.

The main tray install is next. I hope I can find my old hold down gear :frown:

p2530783070-5.jpg

p2530783695-6.jpg

Agree to the re-read the instructions. Go step by step and re-read as you go.....the bracket goes in quick. Hanging a battery system controler and air compressor on it that's a bit of juggling and thinking about how you want to run the wires. :)

You will probably be taking the tray out one more time to install the compressor and manifold kit. And when you install the battery, you will take it in and out several times while you adjust the air tube coming out of the compressor into the manifold, so it clears the battery. Then the battery out another time when you realize you forgot to put thread tape on all the fittings and they leak when you spray them with soapy water, after the battery is in.
No need to ask me how I know.

mine with a single compressor, this compressor is only there for the front ARB diff, the dual battery controller is in my glove box
compressor_zpsbcot4zcl.jpg

and before the compressor
Auxbatterys_zpsa53dfcd6.jpg
finally both batteries
DualBatteriessm_zps943b45c8.jpg
a>

Last edited:
^^^ Such a clean engine bay, oh man.

That was two years ago, it does not look that clean today

I guess time to restore it to its glory!

I've been wanting to clean mine by washing it but I'm afraid it'll mess with the electronics and my HIDs is the main concern. Looks very nice though, I feel like when it's that clean it's easier to spot leaks and drips.

Can someone help a noob out, what's the main purpose of running an extra battery? I'm assuming you can hook up more crap to it while the engine is off? If I hook up a bunch of lights to it, will it eventually drain both batteries or will the secondary drain first then that's it, it doesn't drain the main battery with it?
So you can leave the refrigerator on for 36+ hours in a city parking lot in Quebec, while you and the wife stay in a nice hotel and soak up the sites. Then fire up without any concern that the main battery is run down. :beer:
IMG_7272.JPG

Wow that's tight and it makes everything more clear. I've read through the instructions a few times. They're too vague imho. I was able to change my steering rack (with help from MUD), install brake pads, repack wheel bearings, etc so it's not like I don't have any mechanical skills. I will freely admit, however, that I'm a 0's and 1's person. I don't do "fuzzy" very well.

Stepping away helped a little I figured out what was confusing me. The holes for the two tabs at the firewall end of the wheel well aren't there. The factory never drilled them. The instructions don't say to drill them. Looks like I need to drill them...

p2530737640-6.jpg

But it actually looks like it'll work. I'm not a fan of moving the power steering reservoir closer to the engine. I don't have a better solution though...

p2530737131-6.jpg
Hey Mike, I'm trying to figure this our right now, I watched the youtube video but mine looks like yours with all those extra plugs, did you just jam them up against the fender after you put the tray in? I didn't want to start cutting up the jangled mess but doesn't look like the tray will fit unless I seperate the ABS wires from what I assume is AHC plugs.. Confused

Hey Mike, I'm trying to figure this our right now, I watched the youtube video but mine looks like yours with all those extra plugs, did you just jam them up against the fender after you put the tray in? I didn't want to start cutting up the jangled mess but doesn't look like the tray will fit unless I separate the ABS wires from what I assume is AHC plugs.. Confused

I took some pics of the installed battery tray and compressor (about 5 minutes ago). Hopefully those will help. Pay no attention to any dirt. It's clean dirt that came in from clean air :)

p3245251977-6.jpg

p3245252480-5.jpg

p3245252924-6.jpg

p3245253523-5.jpg

I took some pics of the installed battery tray and compressor (about 5 minutes ago). Hopefully those will help. Pay no attention to any dirt. It's clean dirt that came in from clean air :)

I was just reading the other thread you posted a bunch in, hilarious. I got the tray in, test fit the compressor and was reading about your manifold issues. I was probably gonna mount mine just like that on the bottom with the SS line running underneath, solenoid and air up line facing up. Looks like I'll be taking the compressor off to move the compressor outlet, probably have to do this whole thing again unless I go to the store to buy that plumbing tape, was just trying to get a test fit in.

Any tips for running the SS line, looks like a tight fit.. Thanks for the quick reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom