Slack in my Differential spider gears. Help please. Video included (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I'm currently doing a rear disc conversion and opened up my rear differential. Poked and prodded, and noticed what seems to be A LOT of slop in the spider gears. From what I read, some slack in the spiders is acceptable, that they are not shimmed for clearance, but the side gears are.

Checked the side gears, and it looks like I have .030 slop in the passenger side gear, and not much on the driver side gear.

Lots of slack and slop on the center pin spacer, between the spider gears. The spacer is kind of wobbling around on the pin.

The ring and pinion seems fine to my (obviously) untrained eye.

How's it look, and what do I need to do to fix it? Thanks so much, B.

edit: been reading. It looks like there are different width side gear spacers and center blocks available. Will need to get measuring.

...spider gears

...side gear

Last edited:
anyone anyone?

What I see the side gears have what Toyota calls washers. I see washers on the spider gear as well. Didn't watch you videos but if the spider gears are up against the carrier they are missing.

@pardion I know has them.

What I see the side gears have what Toyota calls washers. I see washers on the spider gear as well. Didn't watch you videos but if the spider gears are up against the carrier they are missing.

@pardion I know has them.
Hey buddy, thanks for the idea. From what I can see it looks like all the parts are there. I'm sort of wondering if I just have a lot of wear on the spider and side gears, and maybe they should be replaced. The spacer and center pin look Ok. Thx.

Contact Pardion. He has a bunch of sets for sale. He is selling spiders, side gears and all four washers as a matching set. Only need the shaft for the spider gears and the block that keeps the inner axles from sliding in and C clips falling out.

Yes I have a bunch of take out side gear and pinion gear sets.
check your Chassis repair manual, such as Fig. 4-13 in the photo below.
90D482C4-8599-4D30-8481-7CA97C5897BF.jpeg

Great, thanks a lot guys!

Hey all,
I took out the spider and side gears, pin and spacers, and measured and looked it all over real well.

The gears show wear but I don't see any real damage.

Right now I'm planning on ordering all new thrust washers/shims, c-clips, and center spacer. Toyota offers thicker shims and spacers to adjust tolerances, so I'll be getting the thicker ones to see how it all meshes up.

Does this sound like a reasonable course of action, running my existing spider and side gears, and replacing all the hardware?
Or should I swap out these gears while I'm at it.

edit: Found some used ones from pardion, and I'm going to swap these out.

Thanks 👍

spider.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to round out this thread in case it helps anyone.

I ordered up a couple good used side and spider gears from Pardion, for a nice price.
And 2 new spider thrust washers, and 2 side gear thrust washers from Cruiser Outfitters.
...actually ordered factory oversize side thrust washers, expecting I'd have more slack to take up, but the stock ones were perfect.

All went together well, and measured out within tolerances, per the FSM.

Thanks for the help all, B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom