Skidplates for a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1Fine40

Rust Buster
Threads
So, what have you all done for a heavy duty skidplate on your 40's? The factory unit is kaput on mine, and I need something mucho stronger. I'm lazy and don't want to invent one, so what's out there and available to buy?? Bueller? Anyone??

:cheers:

Not that it helps but I remember seeing a thread here not to long ago. Try a search here or one on the pirate board. :cheers:

there are a few threads and Woody provided a great picture of his. Mine did not come with one and I searched for a premade one and could not find one. Apparently a few companies like Conferr used to make them. So your choices are find a used one or take your old one to a fabricator and have him make a new better one.

I made one out of 1/4in plate and 1/4in angle iron. Worked out great. Haven't had a chance to bash it to much yet but i am looking forward to it....maybe next weekend when i go out with the jeep guys... :D :D I will get some pictures tonight and post if i remember :eek: :eek: :D

Stew

Pre made? Not aware of anything. I made my own also.

Bent up some 2" tubing, and welded some 3/8 plate to it. You can jack the truck up using it, it is not going anywhere.

I have made three others, everyone is happy with their 75mph rated skid plates...

Any pics of these bruisers Poser ???

[quote author=1Fine40 link=board=1;threadid=6678;start=msg55145#msg55145 date=1067040079]
[/quote]

I do not own a digital camera, (hell, this is the work computer, I do not even have one of those at home). I will see what I can do this weekend. There are a couple buddies that have them, I will try and get some pics, and see about getting them to you. I am about as ignant as you get when it comes to these computer things. I crawled out of a toolbox, and still think that magnetos and carburators are facinating!!! :D

antipodalboy just put a topic in the "For Sale" forum in reference to skidplates he's starting to fabricate. Check 'em out ;)

Here's some pics of my skid plate as promised. My design is simple and straight forward...it doesn't give the best ground clearance, it isn't the fanciest thing out there BUT it works. I used 1/4in plate and 1/4in angle iron, angle iron is 2inx3xin with the 3in part sticking down. The thing is HEAVY! anyway with out further delay...

:)Stew, looks like it's time to replace a few seals there!
Lane :beer:

cruiser:

Cool design, looks like it should work out good. Did you get a chance to test it out this past weekend?

[quote author=1Fine40 link=board=1;threadid=6678;start=msg55145#msg55145 date=1067040079]
[/quote]

A friend stopped by this past weekend and he shot some pics. I have yet to see them, and do not have the foggiest idea how to upload them so you could see them here. I will hopefully get something out here soon.

-Steve

head to http://ih8mud.valleybenefits.com and check the photos from Attica....I usually do somen nice poses of the underside of my rig with the skid plate.

Mine is 1/4" flat, with a pipe dropout for the t-case area. I've had the entire weight of the vehicle on this thing and it doesn't move...(one of the attica pics shows me in pre-winch mode....lol)

Cruzer, it might be a good idea to cut a few 2" holes in the bottom of that plate. With all that oil leaking, I bet the inside is filled with oil/sand goo, my guess is that the park brake and drive seals are surrounded by it, possibly causing them to fail.

Otherwise that looks like a good plate to take the punishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom